Dec 14, 2009

Florets

Our division puts together a little holiday buffet during final exam week, one greatly appreciated by those of us on grading lock-down. I actually feel quite sorry for the students who have to study in the hallway where the food is found, because it smells luscious, and I certainly wouldn't be able to concentrate with a heap of cake in my peripheral view. There's lots of ham and turkey spread on platters, plenty of cookies of every sort, a beautiful tiramisu, salted nuts, candies, candied nut bread, plain brown bread with butter, and on and on. So much to choose from ... but my favorite potluck/buffet dish is this: Broccoli Salad. I love the way the broccoli, the yellow raisins, the onion, the dressing, the sugar, the all of it combines into sweet, crunchy, creamy slighty-healthy yumminess. Even the bacon I don't mind. I don't eat it, but there might be a little non-vegetarian flavor boost going on.

I love it when someone brings broccoli salad to a) book club, b) a church get-together, c) a work get-together, d) a school get-together, or e) a family Big Bowl get-together.

The weird thing is this - despite my professed/avid love for this midwestern-style flavor fest, I never make it at home.

Broccoli Salad
Ingredients:
5 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
1/4 cup of red onion, chopped
1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
.
Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
Preparation:
Combine broccoli florets, raisins, sunflower seeds, crumbled bacon, chopped onion, and peas in a large serving bowl. In a separate bowl or large cup, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Add dressing to the salad and toss to mix well; chill thoroughly before serving.
Broccoli salad serves 4 to 6.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

There is a broccoli - cauliflower salad with bacon and a sugar-mayo-parmesean cheese dressing.

People LOVE it - gobble it up, huge bowls I never have any to take home.

Good thing. I think it's REVOLTING.

This I make but don't eat, that you eat but don't make. Perhaps I should make mine over Christmas and you'd eat it and like it.

Melea said...

I agree - I love this salad! I rarely make it though... not sure why, because it's not difficult. Maybe because it tastes better when someone else makes it. :)

J and M said...

I used to make this at byerly's.......I love to eat it as well, and I don't make it. Hmm. A theme.

robyncreates said...

I have to admit that I don't think I have even ever had this. Addi would LOVE it and is constantly asking for broccoli-that or cooked onions and cooked carrots. :)

BrianG said...

Could the reason you don't make it at home is because it doesn't have enough "meaty" flavor to satisfy Graham's carnivorous tendencies? Besides, hotdogs and mac and cheese are fast.

Susan said...

Let's put it in the lineup..