Dec 11, 2009

Final-style mini photo essay

I am proctoring final exams (or was) today. While they were writing bluebook essays, I was grading proposal essays online. I use a grading software program and do not mark actual paper copies of student essays, so I have to have internet access to do my work. I lost wifi access for a short time during the final exam block, which meant I could not grade any more of the blasted essays awaiting my evaluations. However, I did not bring a book and I was tired of writing to-do lists and/or instructions on the board (see my Office Hours behind my head!). Sleeping, of course, was out of the question, unless I knew how to somehow rest while keeping my eyes open and blinking.

What to do instead? Why, create a mini photo essay with my PhotoBooth camera. I scrounged in my purse for a worthy subject, and immediately found the perfect item!

I keep this insurance card in my purse because it amuses me. It came with my regular insurance card in some sturdy plastic laminated contraption that required me to punch out the card I needed. My card was found on the left half of this sturdy sheet; this card was found on the right. Not sure why the company couldn't print just one card per plastic sheet, but I've forgotten everything I knew about business printing since my long-ago Bankers Systems, Inc. summer job.

Instead of discarding the non-insurance card card, I promptly gave it a place of honor in my wallet.  I love the way the insurance company has tried to be clear lest I worry that something important was omitted. The left-side card helpfully reads: This card intentionally left blank.


Brilliant.


Also brilliant? My lustrous locks. This morning, I woke up, showered, and made an interesting decision - to blow-dry my hair. It's cold outside and I did not relish stepping into the frigid air with wet locks, even though that's what I always used to do when I lived in Minnesota. I regularly walked to school over the river and through the woods, or across a barren park and next to a chilly pond, with long, wet hair. I usually pulled a cap of some sort on, but I had hair-cicles by the time I walked through the school doors. For some reason (oh, to understand the mind of a teen?!?), I thought hair-cicles were a little bit chic. But not today. Not in Texas. Too chilly!

Anyhoo, this morning I dried my hair ... and I sort of get what all the fuss is about. It looks TONS better. Is this what I've been missing my entire adult life?

p.s. I am definitely going to grow out my hair ... if only to enhance the pleasure I'll feel when I cut it chin-length again in a year or so. I've realized that I'm one of those people who likes to vary lengths. I cut it short, then grow it out, rinse, and repeat, and although the layers can be sometimes intractable in the process, I like the drama of the differences. Also, hope springs eternal in my heart that with a new style (this new style ... the one I'm approaching!), I will be transformed into some kind of swan; I am able to exist as a normal-ish duckling because of this (rather irrational) hope that all I need is a new look, Stacy & Clinton ambush-style.

6 comments:

Sara said...

your hair looks great! And great top too. I can't wait to get mine CUT tomorrow! (I really need to get a life)

Courtney said...

Your hair is super cute!

I need a major cut/style/whatnot -- but seriously, for me to blow dry my hair takes over 20 minutes. JUST TO DRY (when damp - not wet, damp.)

I am the queen of hair-sicles, every day and it's below zero. Hats only help so much, static and dry cold air just ruin hair so ... why bother?

Becca said...

I don't know what Stacy & Clinton means.

But I LOVE these hilarious pictures. The card is funny, as are your observations about using a hairdryer.

My sisters helped me to make this same discovery when I moved back to Idaho. I felt the same "aha!" moment when I started getting all these compliments on my hair. Twisted, sisterly compliments: "Who did your hair, Becca? It looks so GOOD," always with that note of surprise. All of them can't believe that I have the same hairdryer I bought in 2000 . . . apparently they last a lot longer when you only use them once a month.

I pretty much let it air-dry when they aren't around. It's a good thing, because A) with few exceptions, they are the only people whose opinions really matter to me, and B) I never get split-ends.

Courtney said...

Becca - Stacy and Clinton are the hosts of TLC's show "What Not to Wear" - which it's a bash show either, it takes people of all shapes and sizes and personalities and jobs and such and helps them learn how to dress for their body types - confidence, flattering, comfortable and if you get on the show (nominated by friends) you get to go to NYC for a week with them and get $5K for new clothes and hair and makeup. So fun to see transformations but within the personalities of the people on the shows - not trying to chance them, just enhance. Most people feel like their LIVES have changed, not just wardrobes.

This would be a dream for me - seriously! To have Nick do my hair - I would TOTALLY trust him, you know what I mean Erin, don't you!?

Erin said...

Would LOVE for Nick to do my hair too, Courtney. Could we travel to NYC and make appts. at his salon? What fun that would be.

Speaking of CLinton & Stacy, I think they would approve of the dress I have on in the picture. Bought it at Macy's years ago, then found it in the back of my closet folded in a box of photographs. What? But yay!

I'm with you Becca ... split ends aren't a big problem for me either. As we always say, the advantage to a low maintenance look is that people are really impressed when one makes an effort. A little shadow, a little glitter body spray, and voila! you've become a hottie!

Leila said...

I've had my hair dryer since 1994 - Brian just asked, "Do hairdryers wear out?" I think mine was only used once a year for quite a few years. But I swear by my new flat iron. It dries, straightens, curls and heats up in 30 seconds. Plus I have that cool trendy non-frizzy hair.