At a recent Cub Scout hike, I was approached by another Cub mom, a friend from my ward, a woman of my own age, a certain Sister L. She had a rather interesting proposition for me. "Erin, I want you and all the other non-married sisters in our ward to perform Beyonce's All the Single Ladies at the next ward talent show."
Loud loud laughter on my part, followed by me immediately breaking into, "All the single ladies, all the single ladies, all the single ladies, all the single ladies," then a quick jump to the chorus: "If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it," and so on. (Visualize the appropriate hand/finger pointing to ring move.) Sister L. joined in. A duet! Her husband laughed really, really loudly too. A little too loudly...
"I'd give you $5," she said between the giggles, thus sweetening the deal considerably.
Here are a few things Sister L. might not know about me:
1) I do like Beyonce (guilty pleasure and all that). My kids and I often jam out to Crazy in Love as a get-up-in-the-morning song.
2) I love tightly choreographed dance numbers. I am always trying to rope people into learning them with me, and I watch High School Musical with un-ironic pleasure. (I watch it with ironic pleasure too.)
3) I was once made to wear a skin-tight black leotard while performing a number from Flashdance at a Ricks College theater department variety show. (Worst costume ever, but I did it.)
4) I have been practicing some of the moves to this much-parodied, much-viewed, much-admired and mocked song for some time.
5) This is the kind of thing I would actually consider doing. No, not at a ward party, but yes, I would enjoy practicing with other people and "working it up."
6) I would like to have an extra $5 in my pocket!
If - if - my sisters learned it with me and were part of the crew, I'd do it. Or if Becca and her sisters were part of the crew, I'd do it. When I think about the other single ladies in my ward, however, there are some concerns. There aren't any other 30-something singles. I'm not sure if there are 40-something singles. Don't think so. And honestly, I don't know how the Golden Girls bunch would feel about leotards.
Of course, there are single sisters at the other end of the age spectrum. I could round up a couple of fearless Laurels. They might even be able to help me with the necessary hair extensions, because no way would I shame myself with anything less than a glorious mane of Beyonce-style hair!
9 comments:
For shame that someone else would bring it up to you -- perhaps this WILL be our family choreographed number this Christmas season, though I AIN'T wearing that. (Did you see Glee with Kurt doing the moves before his football kicks?)
My sisters would gladly say yes, but I's rather hold the camera. I was forever judging their dance contests. I'm not saying I can't get funky myself . . . but, ah, it's neither choreographed nor choreographable. Seriously. I could learn a line dance, but I don't think my body moves the same way Beyonce's does.
This is Becca. Becksta.
I just want it to be on You Tube.
I do not have words. This was requested for a ward talent show? Who is this lady? Why is she watching this?
It's almost breakdancing esque. So many thousands of gyrations. She really has some talent. I could not do that multitude of stop and start motions whilst in those shoes.
Back to my original point. What on earth was this lady thinking? REALLY.
I think my friend Sister L. thought it would be hilarious ... her proposition wasn't totally serious. This video has been so parodied (glad you've missed most of that, Marni!) that she probably thought it would be funny to see yet another bizarre version.
Yes, lots of gyrations. I could cut them by half :) But it is very striking visually.
You know that we're going to try this at Christmas, right?
I think it would be perfect for you and your sisters to do at Christmas. Though it MUST be taped. I would love to see you perform this. You would ROCK it:)
Hey - if you want to tape it at Christmas, I would be more than willing to hold the Camera! I am like Marni - My body doesn't move like that. Sad to say I have tried much less complicated "hip hop" moves and I feel like a elephant doing ballet!
Jessica
Let's get the music because you can't just lip sync. We're on. I'll give you $10. but you have to split with your sisters.
Post a Comment