Jan 29, 2010

Liz Lemon



I love Liz Lemon

I'd like to be Liz Lemon when I grow up. Four years ago, Tina Fey ramrodded this "sexy librarian" goofball into my heart with her comedy show head writer character creation. Liz is funny, winsome, super awkward, non-stylish/a total diamond in the rough, insecure, lonely, misguided and lovable. She loves to break out urban dance moves at the wrong times and places. She eats food from street vendors. She wears dowdy cardigans. She is abrasive and appealing. If I knew how to make one of those little heart emoticons, this is the place in the blog where I would place it.

I don't love this show because it has consistently low ratings or because it's a "critical darling." I don't watch it so that I can be one step ahead of my pals at work or so that I can repeat my Arrested Development heartbreak. (Let me note that I really was saddened when Arrested Development went off the air, and did not find weaning myself off of the Bluth family an easy experience.)

I watch 30 Rock because it makes me laugh out loud, hard, repeatedly, even when I'm all by myself. I do relate to the program because Liz is a dynamic female protagonist in her late 30s, sure. She's a striver with whom I strongly identify in certain ways, and I love her glasses. In some ways, of course, we are different, a little: she runs a popular television show and works for G.E. She has presented at the Six Sigma convention, albeit as a last-minute addition to the stage show. She lives on Riverside Drive in Manhattan. She wrote a best-selling self-help guide called Dealbreakers. 

So some similarities, some differences.

My name is Erin, and I'm a pop culture junkie.

I mentioned self-medication a few posts ago. I think we all self-medicate to some degree, whether with substances or sports or beverages or purchases or even animals. Life stings, and I'll take comfort where I can uproariously find it, i.e. this NBC sitcom. Maybe self-medication is too pejorative a term. How about 'coping mechanism'?

Two Christmases ago, I received the 30 Rock Season 1 box set from my parents. Only my brother-in-law Jonathan watched an episode with me, and that's okay, because I quickly realized (once I had harassed my entire family about what they were missing) that I don't need to share this show. The only reason I care if other people watch it is so that advertisers will continue to place their products with Fey & Co. thus ensuring that the show continues production. Side note: I will give Jonathan a few mad props for telling me that I look like Liz Lemon with my new glasses on in the above picture.

Liz Lemon - the name, the woman, the myth - is a divining rod, I think. If I walked into a darkened movie theater and shouted "Liz Lemon," and only one person laughed out loud, I would turn on my flashlight and find that one person. I would then take that one person to the cafe in the lobby and buy her a bagel. If I walked into a darkened movie theater and shouted "Liz Lemon," and no one laughed aloud, then I would slink out and eat that bagel alone.

See this clip? Even Jack Donaghy can't help lovin' the Lemon!

8 comments:

Susan said...

In my defense, I think if I could sit down and watch 30 Rock or The Office or Arrested Development at any time other than when everyone is here and the house is humming I would enjoy them. ILOVE it when we are all at home but I can't get my decibels to slow down and savor anything at that point. Hope I can...

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Courtney said...

That is so not true - that Christmas I watched 2 episodes of 30 Rock (maybe you weren't in the room). You may recall this was pre-Psych for you and I said I'll watch this if you watch that.

Hello - life changing for you (Psych is a part of you now), alas I'm not as hooked in 30 Rock (ok, never seen another episode) but if you were here I would certainly watch it with you. I'd also LOVE to watch Glee with you, sing and dance along and laugh out loud.

Erin said...

I stand corrected! You did watch with me, darling sister!

And yes, I then watched THREE seasons of Psych and LOVED it (Shawn = the guy you want to be your best friend).

But it's okay ...

I'm also finding that there are some people who have found me b/c of the Liz Lemon connection, and the fact that not a whole lot of people watch the show makes that connection more clear. It's a touchstone, an identifier, a badge of sorts.

Jennifer said...

Lately, as I lie ill on my sofa almost every single night, T & I have been re-watching seasons 1-3. We've just started re-watching the office and I imagine Arrested development will be next. You are not alone!

Becca said...

Not to be confused with Liz Lemon Swindle. I love that picture of you. I miss you, my friend.

C said...

I had no idea that Liz Lemon was not a pop culture icon. I started watching the show in response to a recommendation from you, I believe. I can't stop. Matt and I have watched every episode. We have literally howled with laughter and laughed until we cried. Liz is my hero.

And...
If you walked into a theater and shouted "LIZ LEMON" I would be the one searching for you, my friend!

You are awesome.

Erin said...

Carol - you are awesome!

And so is Liz. She is an icon, but not as well known as Michael Scott. And that's okay, but in my informal polling of my students each semester (since I have some occasional 30 Rock references & I usually ask if anyone watches the show), I've yet to find more than 1 or 2 in FOUR years who do. Maybe the audience skews older. That's possible too ... I think people know of it, but it hasn't taken off like wildfire.

The Secret Santa episode in Dec. 2009 was so hilarious I could hardly stand it.

p.s. I like it when Tracy's role is background. He's the crudest element on the show, and I think it works better when they use him sparingly.