Jan 4, 2010

What I'm listening to: M. Ward

I love M. Ward (check out his nifty website).  A friend introduced me to Ward's album Post-war, and then when I had proven a worthy listener, mentioned The Transfiguration of Vincent. Ward has other albums as well, but it's The Transfiguration of Vincent that I cannot stop listening to right now.


The explanation(s) for the record's origin point out that Ward wrote the record as a form of catharsis after the death of his close friend Vincent O'Brien. I don't know if Vincent O'Brien is the real name of this man, and doubt that it is. But my heart goes out to him, and I love what Ward has created.

This song (track #2) which just so happens to be called "Vincent O'Brien" really grabs me. I love Ward's voice especially. It's very unique, kind of gruff, sugary and salty, and oddly comforting. The song (and many others on the album, including "Sad, Sad Song") makes me think of my friend Tim who died a decade and a half ago. I would have liked this record back then, though it was yet to be written.



He only sings when he's sad
But he's sad all the time, so he sings the whole night through
Yeah, he sings in the day-time, too

He only dreams when he's sad
And he's sad all the time, so he dreams the whole night through
Yeah, he dreams in the day-time, too

There may be mermaids under the water
There may even be a man in the moon
But Vincent, time is running out
You better get yourself together soon

Out of Buffalo, the man
Below the belt, he swung, and then after the bell has rung
Another cheap shot, here it comes

Another cheap shot, here it comes

He only laughs when he's sad
And he's sad all the time, so he laughs the whole night through
Yeah, he laughs in the daytime, too

There may be mermaids under the water
There may even be a man in the moon
But Vincent, time is running out
I hope you get yourself together soon

I hope you get yourself together soon

1 comment:

Courtney said...

What I'm listening to - Glee season 1 volume 1 CD "I think I'll try defying gravity, kiss me good bye, I'm defying gravity, I'd sooner try defying gravity" -- LOVE IT!