It took some hunting but I finally found a version of this song appropriate to post. I really like it and have liked it for years, this song. I especially love the piano line, and have been tooling around a bit, trying to learn it for myself. It's back on the brain because we recently unearthed a rap CD in the van that Kyle made a long time ago; it features a number of Houston artists, including Scarface, a member of the Houston rap group, the Geto Boys. {Elizabeth - he mentions Scott ... your old stomping grounds in the 4th ward, right?}
Rap is easy to disparage, and goodness knows, I can't stand mumbly mouths, explicit lyrics, ridiculous bravado, and sexist/hateful images. But rap is an art form, and for me, the combo of a skillful rap artist with some kind of melodic line and meaningful lyrics, as in this song, works. That's just my take.
Also, I've been thinking about what it means to live in a poor neighborhood ever since a rat ran across my front stoop.
2 comments:
this one isn't a flop!! i do think i liked the video even more than the song, though. i definitely need to look up the lyrics as it was hard for me to pick 'em up just from listening once. good luck with the piano part!
Send me a clip I can rerun and we can get the piano part without much problem.
Post a Comment