Here's something kind of sad. My desk is next to the kitchen trash (small house!), and I didn't even have to get out of my seat to be able to reach in and grab the empty box. Last week, the grocery store had a sale on these Weight Watchers meals: $4.00 off when you bought 10.
I bought 20.
I love the marinara sauce. I love the portion size. My kids love it too, both of them. It is, quite frankly, very very tasty. It is, as the box says, one of their "Classic Favorites." It has 320 calories, so not bad. I figure that if I eat three in a night, I'm still under 1000 calories, right?
5. blockbuster.com
I know it's a Netflix world, but here's why I like my blockbuster.com account.
~When I'm done with a movie, I can return it to my local blockbuster store & exchange the blue envelope for another movie at the store. Nice deal, that. Since I have a two movies out at a time package, I try to return the blue envelopes with my kids. Each child gets to choose a movie, and life is happy daisies!
~the list of movies waiting to be sent is called "My Queue." I like being able to tell other people, when they mention a movie I should see, that I'm going to add the title to my queue. I NEVER say I'm going to add it to my account or list. Queue you!
"Hey Erin, you should check out 'The King of Kong'," says one of the three people who has recently recommended this documentary to me.
"Sure," I reply, winking. "I'm going to add it to my queue!"
6. stuffwhitepeoplelike.com
Someday I'm going to meet Mr. Christian Lander, and I'm going to hug him. Tight. Not since the early days of the Onion has a website been able to make me laugh so hard. (See the Onion post on his website for sure!)
The "white person" he writes about is a sort of vaguely left-wing, youthful, pretentious, pose-y, striving do-gooder who is often more about the image than the substance. I recognize myself in practically every other entry! Seriously - go to the full list of posts. Skim through it. Take a note of how many of those things are a major part of my life:
Apple computers
Banksy
Indie music
This is the kind of funny commentary Mr. Lander provides (taken from the Conan O'Brien post/bolding added by me to mark especially funny stuff) -
"The recent news that Conan O’Brien will be replaced by Jay Leno has caused white people to erupt with rage and hostility. You might even expect them to lash out and do something about it like take to the streets or write a letter to NBC to voice their dissatisfaction with the network. But no, white people will solve this problem the way that they solved the election crisis in Iran – through Facebook and Twitter status updates. In 2009, millions of white people took 35 seconds to turn their twitter profiles green, and consequently sent a very powerful message to the leaders of Iran. Their message was that they wanted their friends to know that they would stop at nothing to ensure freedom and democracy for the Iranian people. Thanks in large part to that effort Iran is now completely democratic. With that issue settled, white people are launching a similar campaign for Conan that is sure to have similar results."
So true ... the message that they wanted to send WAS that they wanted their friends to know that ... etc. etc. If a tree falls in a forest and no one is able to status update about it, did it happen? Not to a "white person"! (I cannot help but grin widely every time I peruse the list.)
Full List of Stuff White People Like
#131 Conan O’Brien
#130 Ray-Ban Wayfarers
#129 Banksy***
#128 Camping
#127 Where the Wild Things Are***
#126 Vespa Scooters
#125 Bob Marley
#124 Hating People Who Wear Ed Hardy***
#123 Mad Men
#122 Moleskine Notebooks
#121 Funny or Ironic Tattoos
#120 Taking a Year Off
#119 Sea Salt***
#118 Ugly Sweater Parties
#117 Political Prisoners
#116 Black Music that Black People Don’t Listen to Anymore***
#115 Promising to Learn a New Language***
#114 America***
#113 Halloween
#112 Hummus***
#111 Pea Coats***
#110 Frisbee Sports
#109 The Onion
#108 Appearing to Enjoy Classical Music***
#107 Self Aware Hip Hop References***
#106 Facebook***
#105 Unpaid Internships
#104 Girls with Bangs***
#103 Sweaters
#102 Children’s Games as Adults***
#101 Being Offended
#100 Bumper Stickers
#99 Grammar***
#98 The Ivy League
#97 Scarves
#96 New Balance Shoes
#95 Rugby
#94 Free Healthcare
#93 Music Piracy***
#92 Book Deals
#91 San Francisco
#90 Dinner Parties
#89 St. Patrick’s Day
#88 Having Gay Friends
#87 Outdoor Performance Clothes
#86 Shorts
#85 The Wire
#84 T-Shirts
#83 Bad Memories of High School
#82 Hating Corporations
#81 Graduate School***
#80 The Idea of Soccer
#79 Modern Furniture***
#78 Multilingual Children
#77 Musical Comedy***
#76 Bottles of Water***
#75 Threatening to Move to Canada
#74 Oscar Parties***
#73 Gentrification***
#72 Study Abroad
#71 Being the only white person around
#70 Difficult Breakups***
#69 Mos Def***
#68 Michel Gondry***
#67 Standing Still at Concerts
#66 Divorce***
#65 Co-Ed Sports
#64 Recycling***
#63 Expensive Sandwiches***
#62 Knowing What’s Best for Poor People***
#61 Bicycles***
#60 Toyota Prius
#59 Natural Medicine***
#58 Japan
#57 Juno
#56 Lawyers
#55 Apologies
#54 Kitchen Gadgets
#53 Dogs
#52 Sarah Silverman
#51 Living by the Water
#50 Irony***
#49 Vintage***
#48 Whole Foods and Grocery Co-ops***
#47 Arts Degrees***
#46 The Sunday New York Times***
#45 Asian Fusion Food
#44 Public Radio***
#43 Plays***
#42 Sushi
#41 Indie Music***
#40 Apple Products***
#39 Netflix***
#38 Arrested Development***
#37 Renovations
#36 Breakfast Places
#35 The Daily Show/Colbert Report***
#34 Architecture
#33 Marijuana
#32 Vegan/Vegetarianism***
#31 Snowboarding
#30 Wrigley Field
#29 80s Night***
#28 Not having a TV
#27 Marathons
#26 Manhattan (now Brooklyn too!)***
#25 David Sedaris***
#24 Wine
#23 Microbreweries
#22 Having Two Last Names***
#21 Writers Workshops***
#20 Being an expert on YOUR culture
#19 Traveling
#18 Awareness
#17 Hating their Parents
#16 Gifted Children***
#15 Yoga
#14 Having Black Friends
#13 Tea
#12 Non-Profit Organizations
#11 Asian Girls
#10 Wes Anderson Movies***
#9 Making you feel bad about not going outside
#8 Barack Obama***
#7 Diversity***
#6 Organic Food***
#5 Farmer’s Markets***
#4 Assists
#3 Film Festivals
#2 Religions their parents don’t belong to
#1 Coffee



3 comments:
My brother loves this site too. It is hilarious.
I did laugh at "The King of Kong", but also felt like I needed to shower when it was over.
It was very funny at first, but then sad, and then kind of despicable. Not as endearing as HoaHB, but a similar kind of odd-umentary.
PS- Netflix rules. They had a queue before Blockbuster. Queue you. :)
Post a Comment