Jan 6, 2010

What I'm listening to: Rufus Wainwright

I picked this song - "Hallelujah" - to share because it's a great song by Leonard Cohen, and yeah, you probably heard another version in Shrek (shudder! not the song but the everything else). Wainwright's version is plaintive. I love this crooner's voice, and not just because his name is Rufus. He has a wonderful musical pedigree. Dad is Loudon Wainwright, singer; Mom is Kate McGarrigle, another noted folksinger I like; former stepmom is Suzze Roche, lately heard in heavy rotation at my house. He's creative and unique too. One of my favorite Wainwright albums is "Rufus Does Judy At Carnegie Hall" - he covers Judy Garland songs beautifully. 

{Courtney - don't watch the clip. Just listen. You will not like the way he moves his head. LOL!}
I wouldn't call Cohen's lyrics cheery, but it's nice to have some love songs with depth. I admire Cohen's weaving in of Old Testament imagery in the first couple of verses, and I recognize truth in this verse too. That said, I'm not unhappy nor broken. Just in an expansive frame of mind.

Baby I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

2 comments:

colleenky said...

I love Rufus Wainwright's "Going to a Town.."...loved his French song at the end of the Moulin Rouge CD....can't remember the title....but he's writing and singing from his heart.

Tracy Loewer said...

I really like this song, and thanks to Shrek, so do my kids. :)