Graham came to me with an epiphany last night: "Mom, Mom, I know why we drink water for the sacrament!!!"
"Why, buddy?"
"Because Mormons know that blood is actually clear and it's only the red blood cells that give it the red color we see when we get cut. We know that Jesus' blood was actually clear, so we drink water."
"Cool," I said. "I'm glad you're thinking about it."
pause.
"I guess Catholics don't know about red blood cells."
I stifled a chuckle. We have some dear friends who are Catholic and we attended a special First Communion for their son last year, so Graham has been able to see a real communion.
It was bedtime so we didn't finish the discussion. Graham might be shocked when he reads that the early disciples drank wine! :)
Both my kids are pretty good at coming up with convoluted, elaborate explanations for things (sometimes church related, sometimes engineering related) that are actually fairly straightforward. Here's another one, from months past, from Mr. Thinker: "Mormons don't drink coffee because some people do spill it on themselves when they're driving and we don't want to burn ourselves."
Well, I suppose that's an extra benefit. Ha ha!
2 comments:
I love when my kids make up churchy things. Truman has really sensitive eyes like I do, and is pretty much blind in bright sunlight, which he (disturbingly) used to refer to as "The Shining." One Sunday morning, we were driving to church in Bryan when he was almost three and "The Shining" was in his eyes the whole way. Finally, in exasperation, he said, "The shining is so bad!" Then there was a pause, and he thoughtfully added, " . . . but not for Joseph Smith."
So true.
I have always loved it when Graham thinks out loud.
Post a Comment