Oct 17, 2008

Obama ... again ?!?!?

My sister asked me if it troubled me that Obama seems to say different things to different groups, a fair observation & concern.

On a gut-level, it doesn't seem to bother me, because I feel like I'm the same way (hello, grandiose comparison). What I mean is Obama has an ability - kind of like a good journalist - to really see both sides of the issue, so he can speak to more than one perspective. I actually like this. I prefer politicians, people, humans, who aren't locked into one P.O.V., but can empathize and look around from other points of view.

I guess I like people who aren't scared by other worldviews. (This doesn't mean changing, however. I'm Mormon through-and-through, but I can also understand the way other people see us, etc. Lots of us do this, obviously. It's a useful life skill!)

I've gotten better at this since I started teaching college composition & Aristotelian argument. I love logic! I love being fair, i.e. even though I want Obama to win, I don't have any ill-will towards McCain and I can fully respect his distinguished accomplishments and political service.

For me, Obama's multifaceted views seem like an indication that he's a thinker/fair-minded, NOT a waffler or liar. That's my take.

Anyhoo... this 'conversation' article between Craig Unger and Jennifer Senior in New York Magazine (the one I've quoted from below) addresses the same concern but manages to articulate where it comes from, which addresses why it doesn't bother me. Obviously, I hope it works for the country too. This interview segment isn't pro-Obama; I liked it simply because they put into words something I've noticed about him.

Can you believe it? I mentioned a periodical that isn't the New York Times. Ha ha!

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/10/craig_unger_and_jennifer_senio.html



C.U.: I've noticed how he can be all things to all people. At times, he would excite the left by being progressive and pro-Palestinian on the Middle East. And then he would talk before AIPAC and give a speech that was much, much further to the right. Most politicians do that to some extent, of course. But his track record is so short that I don't really know where he stands on a lot of key issues.

J.S.: That's the point. Or rather, that's what I meant about his political "blankness." It's an extension of his mild temperament. I don't think he's talking out of both sides of his mouth when he expresses sympathy for both the Palestinians and the Israelis. It's that he can fully grasp each side's position.

C.U.: Yes, but what is HIS position?

J.S.: On Israel?

C.U.: I didn't mean that specifically so much about Israel. What I find frustrating about him is that he seems to tailor his speeches to his audience in a way that allows him to play his cards so close to his vest that I'm not sure where he stands on crucial issues.

J.S.: I think his positions are traditionally liberal, in most instances. It's just that he's capable of understanding the other guy's point of view. What this means is that he'll probably embrace a fairly traditional Democratic agenda, if he's president, but perhaps be more open to compromises … or speak about his agenda in ways that aren't quite so ideological.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I remember the "waffling" accusation being leveled at Bush's opponent during the 2004 presidential election. I don't want to be cynical (and I am, alas, still undecided about who I am actually voting for), but I think that "flip-flop" label was an intentional and calculated way for the republican party to weaken the credentials and position of the democratic nominee. If it worked once, why not do it again?

I think you could take any of McCain's statements (or just about any politician, from any party) made to different groups at different times and find places where he overtly contradicts himself.

BrianG said...

Have you read Dreams from my Father? I just finished it and felt like it was not only a good book but an insight into Obama since he wrote it before the national spotlight was focused on him.

I liked McCain during the 2000 election and was dismayed he was not picked by the Republican party. I would have voted for him then. This time though he seems to be embracing the more extreme elements of the party that I felt like he had fought against as a senator.