Oct 23, 2008

Revulsion






It's already happened.

Our new goldfish - Annie's dear Goldie - is floating at the top of the bowl. It's been one week.

Gross.
Double gross.
Pale orange bloated flesh gross.

I hate fish. They disgust me. I don't want to touch them. I don't want to look at them, especially when they're belly up in the bowl. I feel really peeved with this fish. He was living the good life in our kitchen. I had made peace with my nausea because I knew how important having a fish was to Annie.

But he didn't live up to his end of the bargain. Literally!

My children are not home right now, so they do not yet know about Goldie's demise. Do I let him float there until tomorrow?
Do I beg Kyle to come over & act as undertaker?

I think I'm going to go with that option.

9 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

That is gross. I would go with option 2 and I hope Kyle will come over. Poor kids, especially Anne. Gook Luck!

Becca said...

Have you seen the Cosby episode where Rudy's fish dies and they have a funeral? Where is that Cliff Huxtable when you need him?

What about the old switcheroo? :)

Becca said...

PS- I've been waiting for you to comment about my Ty Pennington post . . .

Courtney said...

Oh Erin - yuckity yuck! Can you just dump the whole bowl down the toilet and in less than 3 seconds you can say bye bye bloated goldfish.

Jodi Miller said...

Same thing happened to our Mr. Bubbles. Blake was at school and since it had been less than a week since we had brought him home, we went straight back to the pet store and purchased a "new" Mr. Bubbles. Blake did comment on how he had grown a little and his fins looked a little different, but I told him it must be because he was taking such good care of him and he was growing and thriving...hmmm, I don't know if this was the best solution, but our new little fish is doing great and I love it when Blake prays for him and asks God to keep him safe.

Erin, do you have Courtney's email? I tried logging in with my gmail account in response to their blog invite, but I keep getting an error?

Hope you have a wonderful weekend,
*jodi

Susan said...

i only like things with fur.

Elizabeth Kiker said...

My friend Mitch's 10 year old huge fancy fish died when their daughter was three. She was very sad about Oscar's loss, and that she didn't get to say goodbye, so Mitch disguised his voice as Oscar and called from heaven to say goodbye. He'll be paying for that in therapy bills, I'm sure.

colleenky said...

I love to read your words--you crack me up and make me think--so fresh, so intelligent, so authentic, Erin, you are brilliant and beautiful. love, auntie co

Erin said...

I did let the kids see floating Goldie. More closure that way!

Kyle was very kind & came over to dispose of the "body". Thank you mucho!