So last night, he was still hungry before bed and wanted a snack. Hunger is a great motivator to try something new, of course. I gave him a little dish of cottage cheese with a spoonful of strawberry all-fruit in it, just to try. And he liked it. He ate half the bowl before bed. So yay! We've added cottage cheese to the list of acceptable foods. The combination really made an impression on Graham, I later gathered, as he came into my room spouting these words... sounding like a mini-Frasier food & wine writer.
I heard him say the word "oaky", and quickly started writing down what he was saying to save for posterity ... or at least us! This (below) is an exact transcript of his food thoughts. Later, when he read back what he'd said, he and Annie dissolved into giggles.
"When you eat a piece of cheese, the oaky, salty taste makes flavors, and you get a yellowness in your mind. When you eat grapes (long pause),this is what I'm telling you, (medium pause) I'm talking about this, (distracted by our cat) What I'm going to say is that, um, ... that, um, that - Annie you're scaring Lex! - okay, so I'm trying to tell you, if you eat cheese you'll get a little yellowness because the oaky, sweet, salty, nuttiness ... So that's what it looks like with cheese. Either strawberries have sweetness or the grapes have tanginess, but when you eat the fruit & the cheese together it mixes it up in your mind like fireworks with the tang and nuttiness."
10 comments:
A born writer, JUST like his mom!!
Mmm . . . I think Graham would love my favorite combo: sharp cheddar and strawberries. Yum-o-rama.
How did you get down what he wrote so perfectly? I can hear him saying it.
Love this post.
This is the part I left out ... when he came into my room, I was typing an email. I stopped typing the message & started typing what he was saying. I can type faster than I can handwrite, so I got it. I just did a return every time he paused ... and paused.
I was laughing the whole time, especially at "oaky". I didn't know he knew that word. We don't use it much around here. Ha ha!
That's brilliant -- I can close my eyes and hear him saying that! Elin loves cottage cheese with a few chocolate chips - are there any sugar free kinds you could put in. Personally I like cottage cheese and salty nuts (cashews, sunflower seeds, spanish peanuts.) Also, half cottage cheese and half yogurt works nicely. A friend of mine used to pour 1/4 cup of French dressing over cottage cheese - seriously Gross.
I loved that capture of Graham! And Ryan likes french dressing on his cottage cheese as well and I also think it is gross!!! Love Annie's Costume too! How fun!!!
That is TOO much!! Oaky? Are you kidding me? Yes, I'd say he is a budding food writer indeed!
I will now place myself in the strange response category- but this brought tears to my eyes. It is a pleasure to be related to a fellow with such unique personality, gifts, and synesthetic awarenesses. It would be interesting to have his sense of taste, as it probably does have a yellowness and an oakyness.
That is much better than calling foods poison, sludgy, or stinky (:
Graham is hilarious! That's nice that you could record the whole conversation. My favorite part is that when you mix cheese and fruit in your mouth it's like fireworks.....I know I didn't get that quite right, but I was laughing pretty hard when I read it! :) What a funny boy
I love it when you capture your just before bed conversations --- so lovely and wonderful and always funny. Clearly your children ... :)
Maybe you could go back and pick favorites and we could put them in the newsletter.. grahamisms I mean. I think there's some food syneresthia going on here... is that the word? s
Post a Comment