Oct 21, 2008

A special painting



Richard Burde, 1912-1998

7 comments:

Anna M said...

What is the history on this painting? BTW, I love the zany photos in Denton.

Erin said...

This man was a convert to the church - born in Germany, met the missionaries after WWII.

His color palette is darker than contemporary church painters, I think, but I think the colors are beautiful.

I called it "special", just because it's special to me. I would love to have a print of it in my home.

J and M said...

It seems a little scary to me. ? Why do you like it so (: m

Erin said...

My art can scare your art, Marni - ha ha.

I guess I like the starkness of the colors. It's so mournful. And yet, the light around Christ's head is beautiful and holy.

I guess I like the exaggeration in the figures too - it doesn't look representative to me. It's symbolic, I guess.

It doesn't look like other paintings of the crucifixion that I've seen.

J and M said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm..

well thought out response. Does the slightly non-realness of the figures make it more accessible (in this day and age of showing too much realism in all films.......). I do think we see "too much" and it is either desensitizing, we shield from it, or it's just plain over the top. m

Susan said...

where can we find the print for purchase? I like it but it's a bit extreme for my home. I would love to see it in your home. I like the the ones that don't quite fit gospel art kit ... although I do like those.

Elizabeth Kiker said...

I'm with Marni ... it did seem dark ... but I GUESS you are allowed to like whatever art work you like ... :) I'm glad you showed it to us all ...