The ability to put together a Christmas card/family letter, address all the envelopes and send them out during the holiday season is task beyond me. Yes, I help my mother put together our nuclear family newsletter, but I'm not the person in charge. My dad goes to Kinko's, my mom keeps track of the funny sayings all year, my siblings help with addressing the envelopes, and so forth. Just gathering the addresses of friends and family members feels beyond me. All of my address books have been repurposed by Annie. (She has a shelf of journals, notebooks, diaries and such, and likes to list all of her friends on the once-empty lines.)
I have so much admiration for people who accomplish the card ritual on a regular (yearly) basis. I love receiving cards and letters and notes from these admired people ... but I can't seem to do it myself. In fact, if I were to create a personal definition for the word daunting, sending out Christmas cards would be part of that definition.
Perhaps if I borrowed the words from Robert Frost, I could make it happen in 2010. Isn't this a neat story about his Christmas card tradition? I didn't realize that "Birches" was written as part of this yearly ritual! Here's another poem - "Christmas Trees" - that Frost wrote to be included in this greeting enterprise. What a wonderful poet.I love the images of these cards too, especially the blue card with a constellation of stars.



7 comments:
I don't know if I love that poem, even though I love Robert Frost. It would be fun to do a poem every year for Christmas, but it also seems like you could only pull it off if you were poet laureate.
Every year I think, "I won't do cards this year." I still do, but the list has been getting progressively shorter.
I hope you are enjoying MN, and NOT enjoying anymore "Snow Buddies."
I can't get it together to do Christmas cards, but I do try to do a New Year's Letter (which mostly gets emailed). I give myself until the end of February to get it done and sent off, so the pressure is minimal. I really admire people who can do it in time for Christmas day.
Girl, it's all about the Word doc. I have 120 addresses (saved in triplicate) on a Word label sheet. After I design and print my card, I print labels and the worst part is over! :o)
We don't do cards, either -- just the thank you cards (which are TOTALLY NECESSARY) for Allyson's gifts almost killed me ... perhaps Christmas cards next year? (she said, her voice fading ...)
I tried to send a facebook type Christmas card--even that didn't show up :(
Did you get my South American card on facebook?
I thought this was fascinating (as I also support the small presses with hand-set type). I shared it with Todd and he commented, "Yeah, we own some of those and Cushing has a bunch of them." Really!? So if you are ever interested in seeing the Frost cards in person, let me know.
Yes, I thought of you guys when I read this, Jennifer. I would love to see some of the Frost cards in person. I sense a field trip coming on!
Post a Comment