Dec 3, 2009

Cold mornings

Cold mornings = an intense desire to stay on the couch wrapped in a toasty afghan blanket.

Cold mornings = an intense desire for hot, fluffy pancakes, melted butter, warm scrambled eggs, perfectly peppered, and festive eggnog.

Cold mornings = an intense desire for a hot bubble bath.

None of that is possible if one wakes up at 3:30 a.m., works for awhile, falls back asleep at 6:00 a.m., wakes up in a startled rush at 7:00 a.m., and then wakes up one's slumbering children at 7:10 a.m., all on a morning when one needs to drop off those children at 7:25 a.m. and hit the highway by 7:30 a.m.

This cold morning = ack! I'm embarrassed to admit - and yet here I am admitting it! - that I fed Graham 10 slices of bacon for breakfast. He clutched them in his fist, grease dripping downward, as he rushed out the door. That's it. I didn't have time to give him additional insulin so I couldn't feed him any carbs. (His BG level was fine, we tested it, but no time for a shot.) Annie had a piece of bread with nutella on it. She wore blue socks, black boots and a yellow Hannah Montana shirt.

Cold mornings = a new parenting low.

6 comments:

Carl said...

"Admitting it"? Pure Salinger.

Elizabeth said...

AWESOME! I want 10 pieces of bacon for breakfast --- with grease, please. Also, I have been hankering for your scrambled eggs since you said you do them so well -- next visit, we're eating scrambled eggs for sure! 3:30 is TOO EARLY. But I salute your dedication. I hope this weekend you get a cold morning, an afghan, and perfectly peppered scrambled eggs.

Becca said...

Keehee.

It's sad how quickly I've lost empathy for cold mornings in Texas. Sympathy, yes. Empathy, no.

But I'll always have emapathy for those "parenting lows." Urgh.

Ammon and Erin said...

Once I was running REALLY late for a first date, and I had to make the drive to Maple Grove to meet the guy-so leaving late was NOT an option. I was hurridly trying on multiple outfits to get 'just the right one'...the Result = I left the house with 2 different shoes on.
I didn't even realize this error, until my date asked me if I had hurt my leg or something because I was limping. Nope. It was my shoes...one with a sligh heel and the other, a ballet flat. Nice.

Faith said...

you're a great mom! i hope it's not horrible to say this, but i love reading your posts when you feel you don't have it all together. it's inspirational to see how good people who try can struggle, but somehow still manage to be wonderful people and parents.

also, i really hope you have one of those more ideal cold mornings very soon. ask santa!

Leila said...

Brian Says:

I get Emily ready for school every morning. This is because the process of Emily and I looking for our shoes for a half hour and then rushing about crazy for 5 minutes drives Leila insane.

Yesterday, while I made Emily lunch she circled the house 8 times looking for her shoes that I had already found for her and put by her backpack. Then I handed her a bowl of granola and she ate one piece at a time until T-30 seconds when I realized she had eaten a whole teaspoon of granola in 10 minutes.

I poured her a large glass of eggnog to drink while she put on her shoes. She then raced for the door, eggnog in hand, but left her backpack. Back again for the backpack, but forgot her lunch. Around again for the lunch, but forgot her homework. Around one more time to return the glass and then, "Dad, I gotta go, I'm late!!" Like that was my fault.