Jan 12, 2010

Budding photographer

Everyone's heard of the famous photographer Annie Leibovitz, right? Perhaps my own daughter may someday join the ranks of noted Annie L. photographers. However, I think her interest in taking pictures mostly/currently stems from a desire to hold pieces of technology in her hands. My pieces of technology. She loves having a cell phone, iPod, laptop, etc. nearby. If push comes to shove, she'll carry around Graham's blood sugar meter because it looks like a communication device.

These pictures she took of me aren't 100% bad. Of course, I deleted the bad ones. So, perhaps she's not ready for a solo show just yet. That last one looks like a departing angel version of myself. (Goodbye, Mommy!)

Still ... I'm having to select pictures that capture something "me", and turn an objective eye toward my appearance/aura/essence as I venture into the world of online socializing. Don't look for me, please. Please. But if you absolutely have to, perhaps Carl has a lead for you - he asked me if I had signed up at deseretdating.com. (LOL, non-Mormon pal I've known for three decades.)

The crazy thing is, I think I make a good first impression, but a poor second impression. I feel like people want to get to know me at first, and then when they do a little, it's a not-so-much kinda thing. Of course, I'm still a relative novice.

I am definitely working on my hair. Growing it out, experimenting with colors, celebrating my discovery of a great neat L'Oreal product (by way of a special issue People magazine devoted to celebrity beauty tips. Thank you, Kate Hudson): sulfate-free shampoo. It helps color stay in longer, and at this point in my life, that's more important than ever ... since the divorce gave me gray hair. (Is it grey?)

Truly, I am not bitter about the last two years. I am accepting and exciting and grateful for a very harmonious arrangement. But I do resent the gray hair, an apparent divorce comorbid.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Comorbid?? I've never even heard of the word --- but I think gray hair is GORGEOUS, as are you, of course. And who could live without Ms. Hudson's beauty advice?

Erin said...

I believe it's a psychology term - a condition that often accompanies something else, i.e. OCD is often comorbid with autism.

Not sure if that is true. Marni or my mom can correct me!

hkobeal said...

Hate to break it to you, Erin, but you may have gotten some gray hairs even without a divorce.

Trust me, I know . . . (although the last 18 months at my house have been pretty rough, I confess). :)

I actually don't mind the gray hairs. Well, I don't mind the LOOK of them. What I DO mind is that their texture. They are coarse. And short! So I don't love having one hair sticking straight up out of my head that is 2 inches long. That can't be good.

Tracy Loewer said...

You don't make a poor second impression at all! The truth is, you're pretty, smart, interesting and talented. That can be intimidating for many, but anyone worth your time will only be drawn in by all of those qualities.

Becca said...

I don't know what comorbid means. Oh, you already told Elizabeth what it means.

I agree with Tracy--you make an excellent, first, second, and third impression. I may have noticed grey hair on the fourth impression.

Why are you spelling grey with an a?

J and M said...

Term used correctly. Two disorders at once.......or grey hair and divorce combined (:

Jon has a few grey/grays. I am stressful? We know the answer. Sigh.

Colleen said...

I have let my hair go completely grey/gray/white---and use "product" to make it shine....but I am in a very different phase than you are.....
However, I was given some good advice from a dear friend, after I received some disappointing news, she advised me to be "Better not bitter." Which I will be.
OH--on a completely different topic---read "The Elegance of the Hedgehog"---wonderful and full of wow words and concepts....even though it has been translated into English, it feels like the author would have chosen the translator's words had she written it in English rather than French..

Susan said...

Yup, that's co morbid. But a great linking word.

blog_meg said...

The grays would have come anyway. I'm fending them off as long as possible. I think that the salt and pepper gray with silver highlights is gorgeous! Anything else gets called "cotton top" as far as I'm concerned. I will probably allow myself to become a "silver fox" some time in my 50's. Please join me then.

As for the impression you make, I think your first is exceptional and each one after that is like devouring a box of Girl Scout Thin Mints...you just can't stop!