Jan 16, 2010

Fitness with the other kind of Zs

I made a promise to myself to break a sweat 6 days a week in 2010. So far, yes, I've done that. I suppose being rather out of shape makes it easier to get my heart rate up. For example, when I run from the parking lot and up the stairs to my office, I'm panting by the time I sit down in my office chair. Sweat broken!

This resolution language is more realistic, and I'm pleased with how it's helping me. Instead of committing to something like, "I will get in shape" or "I will run a half marathon," I've set the bar so low that even I can keep it up.

I definitely walk faster than anyone else across the Blinn campus, and that helps me move it, not lose it. (Students are such slowpokes!) I'm about two notches below that silly aerobic walking style, but definitely more swingy that the mosey-on-over-to-class pace. Since my various classes are in various buildings, I end up walking from point A to point B and so forth several times a day.

I've been working with my stretchy band and hand weights at home, and I've been doing push ups too. Annie even gave me a heartfelt "tutorial" on girl push-ups: "Mom, since we're girls, we need to do this kind. It's the girl kind. It's better for girls. Mom, don't do the other kind!"

Don't worry, sweetheart. Mom can only do about three of the other kind. She'll be girl-push-upping soon enough.

Yesterday was a work day. I decided to incorporate fitness throughout the day. Spent time with my stretchy band. Good for me. Did hand weights. Danced for twenty minutes. Danced for another twenty minutes. More dancing. Then I went running, and not just around the block. I ran over to the house of someone I visit teach because I'm helping her clean her home. (Admission: I did walk some of it.) Ran back. Struggled with iPod the whole time. Felt like the ear phones were choking me. Didn't quite achieve my rhythm. More dancing. More push ups. Then I painted.

Moral of the story - my back has been replaced with something akin to rock, kind of like a petrified tree. You know how the wood  in a petrified tree is gradually replaced with hard mineral deposits that preserve its shape but completely change its composition and make up? That happened to me last night, but it didn't take one hundred years or an entire millenia. It took place in the space of six hours.

The cure? More dancing, albeit stiff, Frankenstein moves today! I'm skip-lurching through the house while I clean. Next thought is to summon pigeons and rats to help me, a la "Enchanted".

(I've also made youth fitness outreach a part of my program. Do you see how I'm teaching my nephew arm curls?)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't run in the chucks! they'll kill your arches and slam your shins with splints. then you'd out of commission and this little guy won't get his curl training. good job, auntie erin.

and i completely agree with you: what is up with the slow poking at blinn? the pace in those corridors can be dern near painful at times. i've taken to just squeezing around them, between them, smoking them in my lightning walk. some of us have better things to do than meander with our friends while texting other friends about the "did you hear" from yet other friend - if they even know that many people. based on their pace, they don't get around much.

J and M said...

I just read an article about exercise (and how it helps us move, get fit, and doesn't contribute to weight loss as most Americans do it). What they recommend is exactly what you are doing.......just to move around a bit more.

Miles loves dancing with you!!! Erin says "aaaa-oooga" to Miles.

Tracy Loewer said...

Good for you. More dancing is always a good thing. Keep up the good work!

Becca said...

Haha! I love "skip-lurching." And struggling with the iPod . . . I never use the iPod earbuds (but then how will people know I'm cool?) because they are ridiculous (imagine italics). And the comparison to petrified trees--Erin, you're writing is so fresh.

How do you get your text to cross out? I can never do it.

Susan said...

I'm riding that train too... I just keep moving and sweat. The cats watch to be sure I don't squash them.