Graham bumped his head HARD on a side table tonight. He howled in pain. I winced just looking at it, and Annie ran to the other room. I know it hurt him, big time, because the goose egg was immediate and fierce, but it became obvious that he was distressed not only by the pain, but by the grotesque monstrosity he had become in an instant. Here are some of the things he yowled out while suffering dramatically on the loveseat:
"I don't want to see how weird I look!"
"It's not the pain, it's that it feels weird when it's out."
"I look so stupid."
"Everyone will laugh at me."
"How can we cover it up?"
"Help me! How can I look different?"
"When will it go down all the way? When? Please tell me when!"
"I feel like I look so strange."
"I feel like I have a wart!"
"Everyone will think I look like a dork!"
I asked him if he would laugh at someone with a bump. "No, of course not, but they will laugh at me. I am not a handsome cub scout anymore!" (I had mentioned how handsome he looked at the Pack meeting.)
Poor kid - he's in physical and psychological pain!
6 comments:
ice and more ice. It will freeze his brain, make the thing smaller, and the psychological benefits of doign something to "reduce" its size will re-generate his self-appraisal.
Also, just a reminder to do brushing, joint compressions, and now vestibular work. I just learned that the vestibular stuff is what connects it all together. WHOAH. Not like you dont' have alot to do already.
Oh, handsome cub scouts! I bet he does look amazing in his uniform. I wish there was a picture of the goose egg, but I know how it goes when your child is wailing in despair.
One of the cool things about Graham is that you don't have to guess what he is thinking.
OUCH! When I see evidence of accidents--goose eggs, etc, I am tempted to go lovingly stroke their back and offer comforting words of amazement that they are so brave...
Oh, poor thing! That's no fun. If he wants to see what a real owie looks like, you should check out my pictures of Joshua on facebook after our car accident last year.
Sometimes I find that I have stream of thought like Graham does (especially when it comes to physical appearance and things not going like you want) it's just that I don't (usually) say them aloud. I love reading this because I CAN hear Graham. Perhaps Uncle Andrew has some advice on how to deal with Goose Eggs and still be handsome and cool at school and Scouts.
Post a Comment