Spoon's next album Transference is being released on January 19, and boy oh boy, am I excited. I've heard some of the songs already because they've released an EP and a single, but Spoon is an album band for me. I don't just want the perkiest singles. Give me every last track, every b-side, every live version. I have 96 Spoon tracks in my iTunes.
I preordered the new album two days ago, and that night, Britt Daniel visited me in a dream. He was super polite, and it was a very realistic dream, meaning that no one had super powers. I was at one of his shows, he stopped to talk to me after he played, we posed for pictures, and he gave me some advice about finding happiness in 2010. It was good advice too, though I can't remember exactly what he said. Wish I would have written it all down in a dream notebook.
I love this photo of Daniel in his music room, at home in Portland, Oregon. A side benefit of the new album release is that there will be lots of articles and photos about the band. More photos like this, please (though this photo is from 2007.) Already, they've received some noteworthy press. Metacritic ranked Spoon as the best band of the past decade, and the magazine editors made that decision scientifically!
Detail I should have included yesterday!
My sister Courtney (see her comment) ordered a Spoon bag for me since Andrew, her husband, selected my name in the family gift exchange. Courtney ordered lots of things, lots and lots and lots of movies for my Dad, for example, and was opening packages every day, right and left. She cut into this package, thinking it was a movie, and was distraught when the scissors bit into cloth. At this point in the story, I would be ready to cry, the point where I pulled a now-defaced cloth Spoon bag out of its package, but to the rescue comes the embroidery machine owned by Andrew's father. How fortunate to have access to an embroidery machine! I would have had to have hand-stitched the hole together, and it would have looked like a child's gift, and then I probably would have put one of my children's names on the gift tag.
Anyhoo, here's the customized Spoon bag I received from Andrew. No one else is going to be able to carry around Transference in a bag with hearts. Yes, I will take it the next time I see Spoon live. Or the next time Britt Daniel visits me in a dream to check in on my resolutions.




6 comments:
Just in time to showcase your spoon bag - complete with personalized embroidery and all (my BIGGEST Christmas faux pas EVER) - glad it worked out, I was so psyched because you'd posted it on your blog - we debated shirt or bag and thought, well a BAG you can carry daily but if you wore a Spoon shirt daily you'd be a super fan but a stinky one. Then alas the super scissors and snowflake like enlargements ... weeping, sobbing, glad my father in law owns a professional embroidery machine, and grateful my sister thinks the hearts only add character to her favorite band's bag.
You're sweet to include the photos - looks so much better than the gaping holes on either side. Just think we could have does train design, teddy bear, or worse a baby's foot print (most designs are for fleece baby blankets). We worked hard to get the colors right - the machine is huge and it was coolo to watch, though I don't ever plan to repeat the slice and dice gift again.
Daniel seems like a lovely person .. but has TERRIBLE posture. He could use some Rolfing, Myofacial release, chiropractice adjustment or something - maybe the weight of his guitar has altered things like Archie (in the Secret Garden) - in your dreams does he have proper spinal curvature?
(Speaking as a massage therapist and student of healing modalities).
At various points in my life, Amy Ray (Indigo Girls) has visited me in my dreams. I still remember them so clearly, and remember waking up so happy. It's nice to have rockstar friends in dreamworld.
Wow, you cut through BOTH SIDES of the Spoon bag, Courtney? I guess you were excited to get the package in the mail! I do love the personalized embroidered hearts--so much more meaningful.
I had to laugh at you choosing a bag because a shirt would be stinky :).
My only celebrity dream was with Joaquin Phoenix. In the dream, he was my high school boyfriend and kissed me while we were in a fight and I was trying to walk away. Strange, because I DO NOT have any kind of attraction (positive or negative) to Joaquin . . . but the dream was nice, all the same.
I think the hearts are adorable! Those must've been some sharp scissors...
Post a Comment