Jan 13, 2010

What Annie is talking about ... and listening to: "Paper Planes"

"Mom, what's a third world democracy?" asked Annie, after listening to this song she loves (see clip below).

I'm not afraid to talk about issues with my kids. We frequently discuss Mark Kwadwo, the Ghanaian boy who grabbed my heart, the boy I have not forgotten, the boy we pray for and remember. My kids are heard to say, at least weekly, "Mark Kwadwo would be grateful for this." I cannot look at the article photo or read the story would tearing up.

But clearly, there are other conversational *issues* that terrify me. Tonight, Annie, Graham and I had this frightening conversation:

A: Mom, I think Nicholas likes me. He plays with me at recess. But he has asthma, so not every day.

Me: Do you like Nicholas too?

A: Well, I think he's nice, but he's not my boyfriend.

G: Isn't he the kid who picks his scabs?

A: Yes.

G: We can't even say that we're in love with people at school. It's against the rules. Too much drama!

Me: People in elementary school don't need to be in love with other people. You don't need boyfriends or girlfriends yet.

A: When can I have a boyfriend? When do I need one?

Me: Well, the church rule is no dating til you're sixteen.

A: Why does our church have these rules so strict of years?

Me: (silence while mind wonders how my life fast-forwarded ten years without my notice)

This song has nothing to do with forced labor in west Africa or teen dating. When we dance together, all is good in our world.


2 comments:

Becca said...

Wow. Serious conversations going on down there.

"Isn't that the boy who picks his scabs?" Did you have to include that juicy tidbit?

Also, something messed up with your blog dates--I swear it's not the 14th yet . . .

J and M said...

AAAAAAAAA. the scabs. The strict of years rules. You can just say it's to protect you and because it helps you make wise choices. hmmmm. Then march around to this other music?