Oct 13, 2008

Bargains at home

I told Courtney I'd take some photos of this place, just to give her a feel of how it looks. I like being able to search out some favorite knick-knacks.

Although I haven't even thought about tackling all of my *memorabilia* rubbermaid buckets in the garage (with photos, scrapbooks, scrapbook supplies), I am feeling a bit closer to organized. Just a bit. As in, the cardboard boxes have been emptied, at least. Of course, my desk drawers are still a jumble of push pins, scotch tape and Webkinz tags, but it's getting better. I do wish I weren't so sentimental about every drawing, program, bookmark, sketch ... but it's hard for me to get rid of that stuff. I love to have it displayed. I hate to think of it lost to posterity. This is why I have more bulletin boards than other folks.

In my dream house, I would have an enormous closet room and one wall would be covered in cork board, so that I could pin up announcements, pictures, reminders. The other walls would have shelving units that resemble a copy center: lots and lots of cubbies for everything! In my dream closet, I would have a huge section for board games, another for crafts, another for paperwork. It would be the brain of my home.

Although this place needs exterior paint in a big way, I don't plan to move anytime soon because it takes SO long just to get settled in. We're enjoying the beautiful floors and the dedicated playroom. I'm getting used to my New York City-style kitchen in a Bryan, Texas home. I actually really like the layout and feel pleased that there is just about a place for everything (except my pear collection ... where to put it, I cannot decide).


We found this papasan chair on craigslist; the afghan & pillow were gifts from Judy & Bill when Annie was born. It is a great reading spot in our playroom, perfect for two people!


I found this giant shelf/dollhouse at a little antique/resale shop that puts its wares by the side of Texas Avenue. Let me tell you, it was heavy! I had a hard time getting it into my van, but am glad I did. Annie has a wonderful doll house with doll people & furniture, but this fits Barbie dolls, ponies and large Spiderman figurines. When Annie & Katharina play with it, they have to stretch to reach the third floor. It's as tall as I am, I'm sure.


I like big earrings, always have, and now I have a shelf unit in the bathroom, courtesy of Grandpa Fred, that allows me to hang them in plain sight, no longer jumbled in a jewelry box. The brighter, the bead-ier, the better! Many of my favorite earrings come from the Target $1 spot.


Ooh, my pillows! The maroon/gold pillows are just tan pillows covered with these shams that I found at the 99-cents store. Couldn't believe it, but they're cute. I've done my room in yellow-red-black-pale blue, so they work really, really well. Annie keeps trying to claim the ladybug pillow as her own, but I've put my foot down.


This is my scripture study basket, perfect for toting around my journal, my scriptures, my manuals. The basket itself was a Goodwill find. It's green, obviously, and I just said the room was yellow-red-black-pale blue, but anyone who has seen my home knows that my style is eclectic junk shop meets stroll down memory lane. It's all about juxtaposition - a ceramic bird next to my childhood teddy bear made by Grandma Janell or a crystal pineapple from MawMaw perched by an inexpensive lamp.


I found this scrapbook paper at Target & immediately loved it. I was going to put it on the wall, as is, but then Marni gave me this frame, and I inserted the tree paper. I even added a little tree embellishment to the frame. The leaves remind me of Minnesota autumn, my favorite "I never get to experience it anymore" season.


Last of all, this is what my desk looks like right now. Although the pillows are fluffed and the earrings lined up, my desk is a different story. Ghiradelli Milk & Peanut Butter chocolate squares are a must. I'm proud to say that I ate just one. I wish this blog was a sniff-n-taste so the rest of you could experience the sublime taste and texture.

Just one!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Thanks for the tour -- your personal touches are perfect (always a great decorator) and your finds are amazing - 99 cent shams, what???

robyncreates said...

You have a great touch for decorating-your house is always so inviting and warm. I love earrings too...will have to check Target, but if I stop at the !$ spot, it can be dangerous for me. Tks!

Elizabeth Kiker said...

The pictures are beautiful and I agree with Courtney ... so many great bargains. The framed paper is a particular favorite ...