Last week, I was so depressed about our country that I couldn't sleep at night. Did anyone catch my dismal posts? I'm tweaking them & will repost ...
My depression was not limited to just our country, but to our world. Our planet. Our survival.
I'm still concerned, but General Conference was such a blessing of peace!
Elder Christofferson's talk about Zion and Elder Eyring's Sunday morning talk about unity just lifted me up. Elder Wirthlin's talk was deeply touching. Sister Dalton's talk about virtue as a form of strength made me want to redouble my efforts as our ward Young Women's president! We will be teaching her talk in our presidency lesson next month and making copies for all of the young women in our ward ("Ever texting ..."). She is a gifted leader who speaks with love.
I felt so grateful to belong to a church where our leaders are civil, Christlike, thoughtful, charitable, inspired. What an example to us!
(Also, I liked that President Monson quoted Thornton Wilder. You can tell he's a reader & that he finds truth in literature. Dickens, anyone?)
What were your favorite moments of Conference?
5 comments:
I DID see your posts, and couldn't think of what to say (shocking I know for someone as endlessly comment-y as me) and then they were gone. Glad you are feeling better.
Elder Holland's talk about angels and how we can be angels for others. Sister Dalton's image of the baby being blessed held up and surrounded by men who hold the Priesthood and saying that those who hold the Priesthood are guardians of Virtue. Elder Oaks' talk on the Sacrament made me think about my noise level before church and my thought process (even with kids) when there. Who didn't love President Uchtdorf - the story of his mother losing her children on a train, the last refugee train in Nazi Germany and not knowing if she would ever see them. Her hope and faith and action spoke so much to today's world -- that's a woman who knew hardship in a time of great turmoil and yet she put her all in the hand of the Lord and kept moving. Who didn't love laughing with Elder Wirthlin and his daughter's mishap story! And I found Elder Bednar's suggestions on prayer to be a good reminder for me personally.
Conference is wonderful - like bottled hope and good feelings.
I think this conference was my best President Monson talk ever. It was so hopeful and uplifting and resonated with me. I feel like I have been trying to live "in the moment" since then, and hopefully, this capacity will only increase.
My next favorite was Elder Perry's. Aside from making want to revisit some Thoreau (hurrah for good literature!), he gave inspired advice about simplifying and re-prioritizing.
I felt like these two talks were similar, and both were things that I have been thinking about a lot lately, so they just rang true for me.
I also loved Elder Bednar's talk about prayer and Elder Hales' talk about how to respond to negativity and even attacks on our religion--counsel I need!
And Elder Uchtdorf! His talk in conference and his talk at the General RS meeting were both so uplifting . . . what a powerful example of optimism--it's a theme he always touches on--I kept thinking of his talk "Have we not great reason to rejoice?" And optimism is a theme we so need to hear in our troubled times (as your edited doomsday post reflects :) . . . I felt the same rejuvenation and hope that you did after conference!) Elder Uchtdorf's sunniness reminds me of President Hinckley.
It really was a wonderful weekend. I think Allen summed it up perfectly when he said, "General Conference feels like Christmas."
I loved the Thoreau and the Wilder. St. Bens is doing Our Town and I intend to go see it the first weekend in November. ( Adam Houghton is directing)( AND I intend to see it when Jonathan is the stage manager in Texas. I loved the talk on angels and thought the muslim men who helped you were indeed angels. Callow me,I did like Sister Dalton's dress as well as her remarks. All in all I thought it was a good feeling that will be my marching papers. Dad and I are reading them aloud ( Well, he reads them aloud while I eat my waffle for breakfast). It's really lovely.
What a great way to start your morning, Mom!
Thanks everyone for sharing.
:)
Post a Comment