Yesterday, I had a lengthy meeting at church. The kids got to play at the Power's home while I was at the church (with Robyn too - thanks, Ryan!). When we came back to their house after the meeting, a cute, shiny, scrawny black kitty was on their porch. Robyn mentioned that Ryan was going to take the cat to the shelter on Monday (today) since he was sort of scaring off their cat Whiskers.
Well, one thing led to another, and we decided to take the kitty home, temporarily, to see if he liked living in our backyard. Between their house and our house, Knight became part of the family (at least to the kids). We set him up in the backyard with food, water and a blanket, and he scarfed down ounces and ounces of kitty chow. Night-night, Knight.

This morning, I went out to refill his dish and check on him. While he was eating, I heard yowling. Cat yowling. Yet his mouth was full of food. I looked up on the roof, and who did I see?
Harper!

Words fail me. I pulled her down and took her in. Graham & Annie were speechless and so attentive. Amazingly, she did not appear to be starved. Wherever she's been for the last 6?? weeks, she's had some food. But she is starved for love. She's stayed in my lap constantly, and wants to be rocked like a baby.
Kinda funny how we gained two cats in one day.
Of course the kids want to keep Knight. I'm actually up for it ... but he'll need to go to the vet first, to get a well-check and a neuter. Then we'll introduce him to Harper. Since he's a kitten - maybe 7 months old - I think there's hope. We certainly wouldn't want a bully cat coming in to rule the roost.
Lexei just looks a bit bewildered.
11 comments:
Wow I am so excited that you found Harper, what a surprise!! That amazes me.
Brenden came home saying that Harper came back too. I am sooooo glad...kinda feel bad that you ended with Knight too. I can't believe that Harper came back after all that time. So glad though too!
YAY!!! I was so sad about two friends having lost dear pets in one week. I'm so glad Harper's back...What an amazing cat :)
Was she neutered prior to her escape and escapades?? Do you remember when Vanessa got out on the hot, humid summer and her beautiful white long-haired persian coat turned brown from the grit and dust and she was so hungry and thirsty and hot when we finally found her that she lay on the cement floor in the basement just panting. I'm SO glad Harper came home. What a feline family you have - and yet it's still only 1/2 what mom and dad have!
Oh, Erin! Hooray! I'm so glad Harper is back where she belongs.
It's just like when you go and buy something to replace that same object you've lost--it guarantees that you will find the lost thing as soon as you return home!
Also, it's very coincidental timing, because we just got our first little kitten TODAY. A sweet, puffy calico that we named Twyla. We're all completely enamored. Yay for cats!
Erin,
After carefully reasoning through the various possiblities of where Harper went and why he is not a skinny cat there is realy only one logical conclusion that Erin and I could come to:
Realizing that the economy was turning south Harper left College Station on rumors that he could do "stand in" work for Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey 2 in Hollywood, California - tradgically after 6 weeks he realized that while film credits promise "no animals where hurt in the making of this film", this did not preclude emotional scarring from being told he pack on a few pounds if he really wanted to be the next Garfield, and that perhaps he was better suited for stunt double work on Animal Planet's Merkat Manor.
So, if you get a letter requesting Harper pay for his SAG dues, you know Erin and my suspicions are confirmed.
I LOVE Ammon & Erin's suggestion. I think it has a lot of merit - times are tight & even pets have to pull their weight with family budgets.
I hope we get to see Harper in "Milo & Otis 2".
Yippee! Awesome news on both cats!
So does this mean the end of the goldfish era, or just that you now have a better disposal method should they pass on?
I'm sure hoping it's the end of a goldfish era! Ugh. The sight of Goldie belly-up still comes to me in my sleep.
I really do prefer mammals!
Post a Comment