Oct 1, 2008

Paul Newman

My connection to Paul Newman?

In our basement at our 507 8th Avenue house hung a posterboard with Robert Redford, Paul Newman and the woman who starred with them in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". (Who is she? I have no idea.) I looked at that picture every day of my childhood and adolescence & somehow, it burned itself into my psyche. The knowing smile and debonair looks of Newman shone through, and it is that face that I see when I hear his name.

Now what taste do I recall when I hear his name?
Ooh, the taste of salad dressing, of course. As a devoted fan of Newman's Own dressings (ranch! balsamic vinagriette! italian! light versions!), I can attest to the tastiness of his products. Newman-Os are yum city, and yes, I was willing to pay a bit more, knowing that the proceeds went to help sick kids and other deserving groups.

Paul Newman was a celebrity who managed to transcend the self-centered acting ego-monster that so many "actors" become - he obviously succeeded as a father and husband too, and made this place a little better during his time on earth. He will be missed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/dining/01paul.html?ref=dining
Here's an article about how Newman's Own changed the snack food industry and increased the demand for organic fig paste! I had no idea how grateful fig growers are to Paul Newman and his company.

6 comments:

Jason said...

I read the NY Times article --- he seemed like such a good guy.

Jason said...

Umm ... my husband is logged in on gmail? I don't UNDERSTAND COMPUTERS. Anyway, it is Elizabeth.

Alicia said...

Nice tribute to Paul Newman. I see you are a Ann Patchett fan??(I read your comments on marni's book post)I love her books. And I can't even explain why. I read Bel Canto in 2 days and was mesmerized by it. I went on to read all of her others (besides that biography she wrote a few years ago). I really loved Patron Saint of Liars. It is kind of tragic in the way that the characters are so flawed that they have no hope. But again, mesmerized. Just glad to hear of another Ann Patchett fan! I think I expected too much of her latest one "Run" and couldn't enjoy it until it was over.

Courtney said...

How vividly I remember that poster. Just like the 9 square pieces of mirror that reflected it, that image personifies the memories I have of playing Barbies, folding laundry, watching movies -- the basement.

I do not like Fig Newtons - they taste like plywood with sugar. On the flip side, I think that Fig Newmans (don't you love the play on words) are divine. They are Elin's favorite snack in the whole word.

Paul Newman - Movie star -sure. Hunk - yeah. Race car drvier and owner - whatever. Unlike so many Hollywood What I admire about him was his dedication to Joanne and his kids (ok second marriage but for like 50 years) as a husband and father and as a philanthropist especially for ill children. His oil and vinegar is a MUST for Texas Caviar, now if only the Southwestern Dressing he makes only for McDonalds salads would be available in stores).

Becca said...

I feel so out of touch . . . I didn't know that he died till I read this. Help me!

Aside from the soundtrack of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, it is a fun movie, and I do like that Paul Newman. I'm glad I get to see his face and silly costumes on my favorite salad dressing (right up there with Brianna's from Brenham!) still.

BrianG said...

Ebert has two great tributes to Paul Newman. I can't get the links to work here, but the are on his page at:

rogerebert.suntimes.com