As one of his Facebook friends, I went first to Huan's wall to see if there was any news. There was a post there, left by one of his friends, from the previous week. In response to that friend's query about holiday plans, Huan had listed his travel dates to Minnesota but noted that he first had to go to the mountains that weekend to work. His work site there was a massive telescope that he had helped to construct (a detail I discovered when reading his blog about the project. Since that blog was not private, I feel okay about posting the link here.) It was a casual comment noting one last commitment before vacation could begin. However, it was at work that weekend - last weekend - that he died. He went and did not come back. Huan's words noting the purchased tickets and excitement about Christmas gripped me.
Our time here is often so short, unfairly short for many, and sometimes I obsess about the knowing of death, the counting of the grains of sand, the deciphering of the time of departure. It is one of my macabre fascinations to wonder about the day of a person's death when I read of accidents or murders in the newspaper: does this person realize that there are only 10 or 18 or 22 or 3 hours left on this planet? I don't know how to answer my insistent question. Probably not, unless terminal illness is involved. Is there a premonition? I do not know.
Obviously, the question I'm really asking (in the manner of "Spring and Fall" by Gerard Manley Hopkins, a poem I posted earlier this year) is this: Will I know?
This man's friends have rallied on Facebook, posting pictures, memories and fond wishes. I am marveling at the site's utility for just this sort of purpose. Even as nothing more than a friendly high school acquaintance, I have been touched by the messages left for him.
Here is something that came to me, a remembered Emily Dickinson verse, full of her characteristic dashes. It is simple, as her poetry often is, and gets right to it.
All but Death, can be Adjusted
by Emily Dickinson
All but Death, can be Adjusted --
Dynasties repaired --
Systems -- settled in their Sockets --
Citadels -- dissolved --
Wastes of Lives -- resown with Colors By Succeeding Springs --
Death -- unto itself --
Exception -- Is exempt from Change --

And there you have it. There's the rub.
3 comments:
Huan was older than I, I knew his brother Long from my grade, but definitely admired him from afar. When I was an undergrad as SCSU he was on all the school advertising that he had chosen to go to SCSU for his undergraduate degree when he had been offered full ride scholarships elsewhere. He said he got a fantastic education in his field that prepared him for his graduate program at MIT (yes, people noticed this part!)
I feel saddened by events such as this, or Andy Carlson - people who died so young when it doesn't actually make any sense.
I hadn't even remembered to think about his brother. I am sad for his parents.
I am inspired by what he did and was in 35 years.
Post a Comment