Nov 24, 2009

Big week


Last Monday, Annie was selected as Person of Character for her first grade class. This is something the children vote on, so it feels like a real honor. She received a special badge/pin and now has her picture displayed in the entryway of the school. She is taking the role model responsibility very seriously, and wants her school teacher and school counselor to be proud of her. I agree with the class vote - Annie has character! (The outfit - just full of character - she's modeling is something she calls "California Cool". I asked her where she got the idea, and she said, "From my own head, Mom!" It combines a cute dress (ahem, a Mexican day of the dead nightgown that's been repurposed as a dress), leggings, denim capris and long, bright socks. Work it, sister!)

On Saturday, Graham placed 3rd (among 3rd graders) in the district-wide UIL Music Memory competition. He had been prepping by listening to the assigned 17 tracks (including "Ride of the Valkyries" and "Mars" ... a lovely selection of choral, orchestral, operatic and instrumental works). The Music Memory competition requires students to match any section of the assigned piece(s) to the correct composer(s)/title(s). The kids have to remember the composers and titles without a word bank, though perfect spelling is not absolutely required. I knew Graham would be good at this sort of thing back when he was three years old and basically memorized the Harry Potter film soundtrack. He could sing all of the instrumental passages correctly (because he listened to it nonstop), and I hoped even then that there would be a practical application for this kind of music skill.

Note: Normally, I don't like braggy posts. I hope the subtext of this post is clear ... usually, we're barely hanging on by a thread! This week o' awards is a fluke, a lovely, certificated fluke. (This week also included these choice moments: my son hollering to me, "Mom, get ahold of your temper!" and my daughter whispering, "Are you really my mother?" So ... I take what I can get!)

6 comments:

Sara said...

are you really my mother? that's hilarious! just look in the mirror, annie girl. congrats to your super talented and full of character kids - inspired by you, no doubt.

Laura said...

They are indeed awesome kids and I think you should brag all the time about them!

J and M said...

Hoooray!! No disclaimer needed. I am so glad for aNnie, I think this is a good thing for her (future tense), and I'm so proud of Graham. I remember those good HP music days (:

Becca said...

Not a braggy post! Your kids are not only cute, but totally cool and smart, too. I love that picture of Graham!

Courtney said...

Everyone deserves a braggy post - this is super duper for Mr. G and Miss A.

Graham could really go places with the music memory competition - they have those in high school - Tim and Sing and Mette and Sharon went to state when I was in high school. That could be Graham in a few years (at which time he'll also be driving so watch out!)

Susan said...

Hope Graham will do some music auditation tricks for us at Christmas and of course my Annie girl is a person of character.