Last week, my lit class read and discussed the classic short story "The Necklace" by Guy du Maupassant. Mathilde, our protagonist, believes she deserves better than the life she was born into. She strives and strives, but eventually gets in a scrape that undoes all her social climbing. It's a lovely story and students always like it. We looked closely at the passages of the story that deal with envy and insecurity. This started a thread of class discussion about whether insecurity is a female problem or universal. The students had lots of thoughts. I was genuinely curious to see what they thought. One student recalled a sociology experiment held in his class earlier in the semester. That instructor passed out surveys asking the students to rank their looks as Top 10%; Above average; Average; Below average; or Bottom 10%.
Every male in the class checked Top 10% or Above average. No female in the class marked anything higher than Average.
Hmmm.
My students picked up this idea and batted it around for a bit. Perhaps women compare themselves to other women (all the females the class nodded in agreement) and usually feel inferior to whomever or whatever makes up the other half of the equation. My students thought that males also compared themselves to other guys, but that the typical male conclusion was, I'm better than he is because I have ____________ (a better car, more muscles, thicker hair, etc.)
This is all very unscientific, but it gave me pause. How would it be to live life without constant, nagging insecurity? I can't imagine it.
Most of the time, I assume that I annoy people around me. My tried and true friends stick around, and I'm grateful for them, but I figure that most of my students, most ward members, neighbors, etc. wish that I would stop talking or chattering or driving or teaching or whatever. My friends have managed to get past the bothersome traits to my creamy nougat center. But the assumption of being non-liked is sort of my default mode.
Strangely, I'm also a confident person. But I'm confident in my competencies (I can type fast, I know how to make perfect scrambled eggs, I can play the piano, I walk fast), not in how I perceive others perceiving me. I have no trouble speaking in public, but I figure that most people listening are at least a little bit bored.
Sometimes I wonder if this is a side effect of teaching. Obviously, I really do come in contact with bored listeners. At least one student per class struggles to keep his/her eyes open. Perhaps I've become hyperaware of how others see me because to a degree, such hyperawareness helps me teach better. I can perceive flagging interest and adjust. I can move around the room or raise my voice. This is useful, to a point.
But such hyperawareness ain't so great in real life.
Tomorrow my students complete their student evaluations of me. It's not my favorite day of the semester. Who wants to be evaluated by 115 college kids? One of my students told me I should check out ratemyprofessor.com. "Oh, I don't have the stomach for that," I told him. "No, Miss Hill, look, I'll show you," he said, pulling up the screen. Next to my name were all positive comments. "You're the only teacher here with six smiley faces."
Is that better than two thumbs up? I'm not sure of the exchange rate.
Of course, the kinds of students who comment on ratemyprofessor.com are the exceptions, the kids who really liked me ... or perhaps really didn't. I'm glad such a student hasn't yet commented. And I learned something interesting this week that gave me some insight into why I have so many smiley faces.
"You're my only instructor here who knows my name," one guy told me. The rest of the class piped up in agreement. "None of my instructors call me by name but you."
That made me feel sad for them. I know that college isn't supposed to be 100% hand-holding and hugs, but still, my first two years at Ricks were, in part, glorious because of the grown-ups who cared about me. Brother Hammar, my writing teacher, said, "Erin, have you ever considered the dash? I think you have writing talent and I think you can get better." That was all I needed.
"Seriously?" I asked my students. (I know this claim of total anonymity isn't totally true. In my division, we are good about learning names, but too many students were nodding their heads for it to be just the rantings of one fellow.) How must that feel to these students ... to be off at school, in a kind of limbo between high school and Texas A&M with no one who knows them?
Whether the insecurity is the chicken or the egg, I know not, but I have an enormous appetite to please people. I want to be liked. In fact, I think I'm the exception to that old psychology trope that people would rather be understood than loved. I can deal with being misunderstood as long as ya like me! I've always considered that pleas-itis a liability in teaching and try hard to keep it in check (because as much as I want to be liked, I want to create concise writers more) but after hearing about the lonely feelings of many of my students, I see that perhaps my care and empathy for my students could also be seen as an asset. Because I know what it feels like to be lonely, I make an effort to reach out. I also hope that learning so many names every semester helps ward off dementia in the manner of avid bridge playing.
Divorce has a way of amplifying feelings of insecurity. I recognize that my insecurity is probably vibrating at a higher frequency than, say, 8 years ago. That nagging thought in the back of my mind - If so&so knew this about me, she wouldn't want to be my friend - got marched to the front of the room and was made to wear a dunce cap. Divorce says this to me, Yeah, you're right. You're not worth it. You are annoying. You do bother people.
Now, I'm trying to talk back to divorce. I'm reminding it that there are plenty of reasons things fall apart, and plenty of other folks who are suffering and groping for connection wherever they can find it. I'm reminding it, too, that I have a team. (Thanks, Team!) And I have a coach (Thanks, God). And I do know how to type pretty fast.
6 comments:
I didn't know you could make perfect scrambled eggs.
But as to your positive traits: you certainly did not list them all. Let's do a top ten as a representative sample, shall we?
1- you are a true and loyal and fierce friend
2- you are endearingly unique--I've never met anyone who talks like you, thinks like you, reads voraciously like you
3- your passion carries over into everything you do
4- you have a deep capacity for empathy
5- you are FUNNY! Five years later, and I'm still telling people about "Faded Status," your tongue-in-cheek description for "lesser" lines of clothing
6- you are musically musical--beautiful voice, amazing lyric recall, and ability to actually read the notes--for piano, violin, or whatev
7- hello, superior sense of fashion!
8- I've never met anyone as freaked out by fish as you--you are leading in your field!
9- accomplished chef! Oh, how I long for even a sip of your tortilla soup or rosemary lasagna
10- redundant to put here: you are a truly gifted writer
I recently heard a therapist ask his patient what the patient would do if someone openly ridiculed their child. The patient responded, "I'd beat him up! I'd get my kid away from that guy!" To which the therapist said, "That is what you need to do to your negative thoughts. You do not listen. You do not tolerate for a minute such things being said." I suspect maybe you have heard this line of reasoning before, but I like the mental image of "Divorce" getting the door slammed in its face whenever it tries to belittle or demean.
Wow, it's like you peeked in my head and wrote things I was thinking! No, I'm not divorced but I feel like I annoy everybody and I try so hard not to. I think that what annoys me must annoy other people so I try hard not to do those things.
You are indeed a gifted writer. I enjoy reading your blog and your thoughts. And I don't think you're annoying at all. I'm grateful for blogs (and the return of your comments!) so I can get to know you better. I am glad to be part of your family.
Erin, I often have the same thoughts and feelings. Maybe being the oldest of 3 girls makes us insecure and wanting to be a people pleaser? At any rate, I'm glad to be on your team. You're awesome. oxox
I did not realize you wondered if you annoyed people. I have never actually met a person who didn't like you. Does this go hand in hand, an effort and a result or a blind spot?
As for the teaching and students without names, that is sad. I have had students give me comments in the online teaching forum which were positive and I started to wonder if the rest of their instructors were completely inadequate as I was just doing what I considered "normal" (which can translate into minimal personal) effort. Hmmm.
Insecurity. I feel insecure in the world, and perhaps in physical appearance (large head, in relation to sisters with lovely heads/faces, etc. but let's not get this started). I do have an inordinate amount of confidence however in other arenas. Cooking specifically (: is a topic of humor in our house. I feel that I am a a very good and capable cook. The food does not necessarily tell this, because it isn't about the food actually, it's about me. Haha. I know in my heart that if I followed all instructions and was careful about things, that it would be very good. I do not prepare food in this way, often, but I still believe in myself quite a wee bit.
My final thought is about the divorce comment. The thoughts about divorce being linked to personal shortcomings and human foibles does reveal itself to be a "lie". By this I mean, if the standard of marriage is to have one's ideal at all times and in all things, etc. with no annoyances, then we would all be robots married to robots.
I do wish for robotic children of obedience at times, but it's not real. enough blatherings.
I love this post, Erin. Last night in a fit of insecurity (ah, you've labeled my state for me!), I almost deleted all my blog bookmarks . . . I got so overwhelmed by everyone writing things like "I'm so lucky to be married to the most amazing man" and pictures of marital & family bliss. I want some bliss! ;) But then I knew I'd get curious again, and I got too tired to do anything but go to bed.
So I'll think about talking back to those feelings. And beating thme up, as Becca said.
As an overacheiver at heart, that is extremely critical of myself, I understand.
I do think that women on the whole are much more critical of themselves than men, especially of appearances. For men it isn't as important somehow. For one thing there are a lot of fatter/uglier/more obnoxious guys that girls seem to like. I think part of the sexual difference is that there is selection pressure for women to be beautiful. It isn't just that women are more critical of their looks, it's that men are critical of women's appearance and women are not as critical of male physiology in mate choice.
I must disagree with you though. I doubt you annoy people. I always loved hanging out with you guys, camping out in your backyard, talking about books and music with you, and eating with you guys.
I hate self help books, but Leila made me read "The Feeling Good Handbook" and I think there is a lot of truth to his way of looking at negative thinking. The truth is that you probably annoy someone, but universalizing that just isn't true.
I am reminded for some reason of the scene from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where the guy is being rubbed down with oil after being baptized in the Greek Orthodox Church. She turns to her brother and says something like, "Any minute now he is going to turn around and say you are soo not worth all of this." Her brother looks at her and says. "Yes, you are." You are soo worth it. Don't believe your inner demons for an instant.
Post a Comment