Nov 30, 2009

Young Woman of the Year

     When I was a senior in high school, I participated in a, a, a, um, a pageant. For some reason, they renamed the pageant that year. For that year and that year only, it was called Young Woman of the Year (in an attempt to shed the stereotypical label, I'm sure). Then the name returned to America's Junior Miss. I got involved at my mother's urging. She thought I could earn some money for college. It certainly wasn't because I had tall bangs. (In High School, I didn't know much about make-up or hair-styling. In those days, I didn't even pluck my eyebrows.)
     My friend Becca has recently become heavily involved (guffaw!) in her local America's Junior Miss pageant chapter, and she turned to me for counsel, the kind of wise counsel only a former participant can offer. [In talking to Becca, I found out that this pageant is huge in Idaho. Perhaps my mother - an Idahoan - knew about the pageant from her growing up years in the gem state. Perhaps she'd heard of it through the pageant's most famous alumi (or is it alumna?): Diane Sawyer.]
     My YWY adventures were indeed adventurous. My father braved a Minnesota blizzard to pick up the lacy dress I was to wear, for starters. I played a piano something or other at the at-large competition and won that round, giving me a berth at the state comp. (That's short for competition.) The state-wide competition was held in Burnsville, I believe, and I spent a week (missing school) at the competition. I remember fondly that due to a coincidence in scheduling, I spent the previous January week in Orlando with the Tigerettes dance squad and arrived at the YWY competition more tan than I had ever been ... or would ever be. As someone who usually reddens and has never braved a tanning bed, this was a feat. 
     Our friendly week-long competition included dance practice, talent practice, service opportunities and a fashion show at some big mall in that part of the cities. I have lots of 3X5 pictures (fuzzy, blurry and grainy) documenting our fun. I know my parents worked very hard to arrange sponsorships, and they paid for me to rent a tuxedo (yes, for real. It was 1990). I was to wear said tuxedo during the talent portion of the competition, and I had prepared a violin solo. 
     Two minutes before I was to go on stage, my violin string broke. It was as though time stood still, Matrix-style, while the string snapped and flailed. I got a little panicky backstage while I tried to problem-solve. Restringing the violin wasn't a great option. New strings don't hold well at first and I didn't want sliding pegs. What to do? The piano was rolled on and off depending on the talent at hand, and I knew there wouldn't be a piano out there when my name was called. I had one option: singing. 
     Now, it would have been lovely if I possessed a lyrical memory like Becca (teach them that, Becca, teach them that!), but I don't. I have a hard time remembering lyrics to songs. I know the notes but not the words. I knew one song - "As Long As He Needs Me" from "Oliver!" - since I had just played the role of Nancy in our E.T.C. summer musical production. As you may recall, "Oliver!" is set in Victorian England. I do not believe women wore tuxedos back then. Oh well. The evening's M.C.s announced that my string had broken and that I would be singing instead, and then I walked to the center of the stage and did my best. I love singing but I'm no Broadway soloist. I'm the person with whom you might want to sing a duet because I can carry my part and harmonize well. 
     I managed to wow them despite my vocal limitations. In the end, I was awarded first runner-up. I was the 2nd place Young Woman of that Year! I'm quite sure I received this honor because of the broken string. Had my original talent been the singing of that song, my act would have been filed under mediocre, but I managed to stand out because of the minor stringed catastrophe. It was the beginning and end of my pageant days, and I walked away with $1500 for college. Yes, college scholarships - that's what YWY was all about. (No bathing suit portion, thank goodness!)



     Now on to the reason I wanted to post this in the first place. Annie is collecting trophies and medals. She has a few she's earned but has added to the stash Kyle's sole golf trophy and my giant medallion from my time in YWY. She held it up this morning and attempted to read the scripty wording. 


"Mom, were you really America's Ginormous Miss?"


Gulp. Hope not ...

9 comments:

J and M said...

Hahahahhahahhaah. That could be a worthy pageant perhaps???

Courtney said...

Erin - you totally need to scan pictures of you in that black hat wowing everyone dancing to Bobby Brown - so serious and spot on. I also loved that you walked out for the "career" portion in dad's Academic Robes - like a professor (wowseroo that's spot on.) I mean you COULD have dressed up as a giant book like a sandwich sign, wowed the judges with that, I think not.

We will all forever recall the moment the air left the row all the Hills were sitting in when they said your string broke. I think even Dorie was with us ... we all panicked - people for rows ahead and behind would know YOU WERE WITH US! But then you sang and Broadway bound you WERE - in that moment. You might not have been in a "bar" with a peasant dress and pewter cups with raucously fake drunk men in "Oliver!" but even in the black tux with your long hair rolled/braided you embodied Nancy so completely!

Bravo indeed - Junior and Ginormous (seriously, how long ago was that ADDED to the English language at all - a faux word in my book.)

Becca said...

Oh, Erin! HahahahahahaHAH! America's Ginormous Miss! I love how you made the font ginormous for that punchline. Hilarious.

I want to see pictures in the tuxedo, too. Did Marni and Courtney go on to follow in your footsteps to AJM glory?

Thanks for sharing your story. No thanks for sharing my pageant involvement. :)

Courtney said...

Becca:
I recall Marni attempted to but then broke her back, hand and got 60 stitches in her forehead. I do remember helping send a picture of her doing a vault in gymnastics from the previous season because, well, she was in a back brace, cast and with 60 stitches across her forehead. Other things seemed to take priority.

Me ... um, no I did not follow but have memory as to why other than I was doing other things???? (And fighting an undiagnosed thyroid problem.)

Elizabeth said...

I had NO IDEA. How could I not know this about you? I met you in college, for gosh sakes, partially funded by the AMERICA'S JUNIOR MISS contest???? YOU WERE IN A PAGEANT????????? This is huge news --- I wish there were video. Is there a video? You must post pictures. Such a lovely young woman --- I'm totally awed. Is there anything you CAN'T do, Erin????

Erin said...

Photos too shameful, I'm sure. Those were days of thick lipgloss! If I find some, I'll put 'em up. Good memories - yes. I suppose I never mentioned it because I am definitely NOT a pageant type. :)

You guys are so so so nice. Let's see if the kindness continues when I show what I looked like in a silk shirt.

Sara said...

Oh my I am laughing out loud! I was there, and you were not ginormous at all. You were stunningly beautiful and talented. And I thought you were wonderfully brave for even entering the "pageant" and that was before you wowed everyone with your amazing a capella. Wow. What memories.

robyncreates said...

Love it! That is hilarious! (Annie's translation that is.) :)

Becca said...

. . . but if you put up tuxedo pix, then we can laugh AT Annie's remark and WITH you!