Nov 2, 2009

Gospel Doctrine jeopardy

Yesterday, I taught a Sunday School lesson on the church's noted welfare program. It was a perfect storm of happy lesson components:

* a subject I love
* plenty of time to prepare
* great source material (Pure Religion by Glenn Rudd + our manual + the Doctrine & Covenants)
a fun jeopardy game concept with 100, 200 and 300 level questions, i.e. for 300 points, Who was the Pioneer Stake president who created an innovative welfare model of farms, storehouses and work opportunities that was eventually adopted by the whole church?
Answer: Harold B. Lee!
* a lively class. I love our class, even when people want to talk about "redistribution of wealth" a little more than I had intended. Comments from class members are often insightful and spiritually instructive. Scott H.'s comment at the end of class - that each of us is The Bishop's Storehouse - touched me
* powerful stories from the lives of those blessed by the church's humanitarian giving, including one young girl who wept with joy when she received a pair of red shoes and new socks, so beautiful that she couldn't believe they were hers. I have a soft spot for red shoes, that's for sure!

I really love my calling. It energizes and uplifts me. When the Bishop gave me the call, he said he's sometimes cautious to call teachers to teaching callings, mindful that folks might be worn out at the end of the week. But for me, having a teaching calling is a delight. I love to teach and I especially love to teach friendly, supportive adults who are interested in listening and participating. It's a dream class!


5 comments:

Reputo said...

even when people want to talk about "redistribution of wealth" a little more than I had intended

Ah yes, the venerable lets pretend that the church is about politics members. Why it is so difficult for some members to realize that the Gospel is politically neutral and God's job is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, not ensure that Mitt Romney gets the Republican nomination in 2012 is beyond me.

The favorite character I like in our ward is the one who gets up every Fast Sunday and bears his testimony on the Word of Wisdom. Complete with all of the herbology and homeopathy references he can muster. It is especially interesting when he starts railing against modern medicine and doctors, because one of the counselors in the bishopric is a doctor. Yesterday it happened like clockwork.

Sara said...

great hair in this picture!

Becca said...

I wish I could come to your dream class . . .

And who are you, Reputo? :)

Tracy Loewer said...

I'm teaching the adult SS now too, and I think it's by far my most favourite calling ever! Mind you, I'm not teaching at Blinn all week like you are, but I'm glad you like your calling anyway :)

My only problem with a lot of discussion, is that there's so much awesome material to cover that I hate to miss any of it.

Reputo said...

I knew Erin from Texas A&M, clear back when she wrote for the Battalion (and before). In fact, I think that she taught Gospel Doctrine in our ward there.