Nov 15, 2009

Sunday musings

     As with any Sunday School teacher, there are lessons that resonate with what I'm already doing moderately well, and then there are lessons that highlight what should be done. This week's lesson on missionary work follows last week's lesson on family history work, and I'm definitely in a humble place. I approach my class as a student.
     Of the three-fold mission of the church, I think I spent the bulk of my efforts in perfecting the saints. But when I put it that way, I have to choke a little ... if that's where most of my efforts are, why am I not further along? I think there are some things I am doing well. I think that I contribute to my ward and help to make it work. I also spend a great deal of time pondering and studying gospel principles. They interest me to my core. I am also trying to be more Christlike. I believe that happiness in life comes from living as he did - with love, acceptance, longsuffering, charity, and so on. I am filled with questions - with doubt, with faith, with hope, with certain foundational experiences that keep me going - but believe that not knowing the answers is not an excuse to sit down on the job. So I am well acquainted with walking through the darkness. Perhaps I get a little too self-congratulatory, and assume that because I am trying, then it's enough.
     I can't help but think the Lord looks at my efforts - well intentioned as they may be - and sees someone who has yet to take off the training wheels, spiritually speaking. Well, maybe not. I don't think that analogy holds up. Perhaps he sees someone who could increase her sphere of influence but insteads spends most of her time focused on herself, her family and her local stewardship. 
     This gives me pause - How does the Lord see me? - but just as I start to worry, I find these words from President Hinckley (from 1997 & included in today's lesson) and see that there is also a global power in acting locally.
     “Now, what of the future? What of the years that lie ahead? It looks promising indeed. People are beginning to see us for what we are and for the values we espouse. … 
        If we will go forward, never losing sight of our goal, speaking ill of no one, living the great principles we know to be true, this cause will roll on in majesty and power to fill the earth. Doors now closed to the preaching of the gospel will be opened. The Almighty, if necessary, may have to shake the nations to humble them and cause them to listen to the servants of the living God. Whatever is needed will come to pass.
“The key to the great challenges facing us and to the success of the work will be the faith of all who call themselves Latter-day Saints” 


     I often wonder at the process by which we were giving our earth assignments. This train of thinking then bumps me up against a question I have yet to answer: How did I end up so fortunate? That question can start me spinning intellectually. I do not think there is an easy explanation. But while I cannot fathom why I was privileged to be born in the 20th century to a family of believers with opportunities for education and abundant love/food/shelter (insert Maslow's hierarchy of needs), I am  here. I am now. It is as it is. So what happens next? Will I fritter away those privileges or make something of them to bless those around me?
     As Ben Parker tells Peter Parker repeatedly, "With great power comes great responsibility." That's as true as any gospel principle I can imagine, even if it comes via a Marvel comic book and not a bound volume of scripture.
     This is why I love sundays and why I especially love being a Sunday School teacher. I am reminded of the great power and responsibility that I have received. I am committed to being a better mother, friend, recycler, neighbor, teacher, visiting teacher, daughter, granddaughter, and even a writer. I am committed to being a better disciple.





     Now ... we all know that I'll fall short in nearly every category before the week is done, but sundays are for starting over, for aligning our time with our goals, for aiming high. This is why I want to keep the Sabbath day holy, so that I too have a chance to find that holiness within.


3 comments:

Allison said...

You have the same thoughts that I do today. I have such a strong desire to be good in so many areas that I feel like I fall short in all of them. I keep reminding myself that I don't have to be perfect, I just have to be consistently improving (and even that is daunting sometimes!). In so many areas of my life I want to be better, I just don't know where to start! :)

Becca said...

I love your introspection, Erin. You are a very honest person--I admire you for many reasons, but your ability to see yourself clearly is one of the best.

Susan said...

Becca is right. By saying what you say you are showing great strength. You are a fabulous teacher and all you study makes you have greater depth. The older a person grows the more they are aware of their deficits... or so it is in my case.