Scene - The Littlefield garage. Erin is putting a load of clean, damp clothes into the dryer. Graham has just tested his blood sugar and is about to have a late dinner/ bedtime snack. Erin will not be joining him in his corn dog feast. (She ate 5 triscuits and drank some grapefruit juice while preparing his snack.) She pulls out the clothes distractedly as Graham cautiously steps into the utility area and clears his throat ...
"Mom, please do not take this the wrong way. I am not trying to be rude. I hope you don't think this is rude...
"Mom. Here it is. Meat is good. It's very good. These corn dogs are so good. Also, the mayo is cold from the fridge and cools down the steaming meat. I know you're a vegetarian, Mom. That's okay. I know you are, but I worry about vegetarians. Meat is so good. You, I mean, they are missing out. So much flavor! Do you see the steam from this meat?
"Mom, I'm going to pray for you. Someday you might be able to eat meat again. I will remember to pray for you. I know you don't like meat. I know that, but maybe someday, Mom. Someday?"

10 comments:
Oh Graham, you sweet boy. I'm with you on the corn dogs. Yum! And what a good son to want to share something he loves with his mom. :)
Oh, that is priceless! I bet you're hoping that this prayer goes unanswered. :)
I love this hilarious fellow. I will pray for you too (:
Erin, you are a terrific writer and a patient mother! We can pray for you too.
Corn dogs are not meat, they are food product. Perhaps someday you might adjust to say, turkey burger (I speak from someone who sensorily is hovering on THIS side of meat but just barely!)
That is hilarious! I love hearing what Graham thinks and says. :)
Meat is good. I'm with Graham. I'll pray for you too, Erin, but not about meat per se. :)
Hold your own sistah~!!!
We'll pray with Graham, Marni, Sara, and Anna :).
Allen ellowelled pretty hard when I read this aloud to him.
Oh, I needed this laugh today! Thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment