Nov 15, 2009

A favorite artist

I really love the paintings/images of LDS artist Brian Kershisnik. You might have seen his painting featured with Larry Hiller's lovely, lyrical article in the June 2009 Ensign: "Hope: The Misunderstood Sister." (I've provided a link to the Ensign table of contents so that you can select the .pdf view of the article and see Kershisnik's accompanying art. The article is worth a re-read too. It's rather unusually open-ended for an Ensign piece, I think.)

This painting is Kershisnik's take on the Nativity. Its form is pretty representative of his style. I've searched the web for months for a way to buy a print, but cannot find any for sale. Still, I search. This painting really speaks to me about the reality of that baby's birth so long ago. The angels in all their diversity, the exhaustion in Joseph's face, the cluster of women at Mary's side, all of the details touch my heart.


3 comments:

Becca said...

Ooooh, I am not familiar with this artist--I love it too! I love the "tapestry style." Beautiful.

Susan said...

i got the Larry Burr print by direct contact. Let's keep looking. They are memorable.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

erin, first of all...thanks for linking to me a couple weeks ago. that was nice of you. second, here's the link for the place you can buy prints of the nativity... http://www.newvisionart.com/artist/artwork/art_details.html?artist=2&art_id=165&type=prints
they're a bit pricey, but they're so gorgeous. and i know byu's museum of art store sold posters for like $35, so you could get in touch with them to see if they could ship one to you. if they don't have any, let me know, and i'll see if i can find a spare one in my family (brian is my uncle).