Nov 12, 2009

Fix you

     I fixed the comments feature but not in the expected 'Comments' part of "Settings". Big sigh of relief. I'm usually terrible at providing my own tech support. Manuals scare me. 
--------------------------------------------------
     Two other items, neither deserving an individual post but perhaps appropriate together.
     I have an international student whose given name is Ho Pu (her surname is something else - I'll just say Wu): Ho Pu Wu. I feel awkward calling on her by name in class because I do not want to say, "Yes, Ho Pu, what do you think about this reading?" (I should note that I'm worried about how other students will react as well. Yeah, lame.) I really have a hang up about it. I think my hang up comes from living with a bathroom-humor loving 9 year old.
     Recently, she turned in some work and had the name (we'll say) "Marie Wu" written on it.
     "Oh, did you choose an Americanized name for your schoolwork?" I asked hopefully (and I'm not one to usually recommend 100% assimilation, mind you!)
     "No," she said quickly. "Marie is just my friend. My name is Ho Pu."
--------------------------------------------------
     In a different class I have a student who is 0-2 in brainstorming workable research paper topics. (Note: I've changed a few details to protect his privacy.) His first idea was this: "Students should be allowed to use their cell phones at any time in school. If they are allowed to text whenever they want, even in class, then teachers won't have to waste time disciplining them."
     "Do you think this will be persuasive?" I asked, puzzled. This is probably the least workable idea I've heard this semester.
     "Don't you?" he responded.
     "No, I don't," I said frankly, and I'm usually a very encouraging teacher. "This is not a good topic. You will not be able to find any evidence in support of such a policy. Do you really think it's a good idea?"
     He thought a bit more about topic ideas, and presented his new topic idea to me yesterday: "The government should ban all cigarettes and make people stop growing them so that we could save money and help people."
     Jaw dropping for a second time. We've had lessons on the value of qualified statements (avoid all or nothing language, select modest claims, do not promise the moon) in persuasion. For example, it's better to say, "This new policy will help some" rather than "This new policy will solve the problem."
     I pointed out that if saving money was the goal, then destroying the tobacco industry might not successful. He didn't get it.
     "Do you really think people will stop smoking just because cigarettes are banned?" I asked.
     "Yes, they'd have to," he said.
     "Hmmm, but what did we learn from Prohibition about banning things outright?"
      He just looked at me blankly.
      Someone needs to turn on his listening ears.

6 comments:

Becca said...

Yay! The comments! And I've had such humdingers that I've had to suppress at the sight of "Posted by Erin" with nary a comment field to be found. All of your commentless posts this week have been GEMS, I tell you! I especially laughed at your self-deprecating thoughts about the comments that we would leave, if only we could.

Maybe that second student of whom you write has not yet been introduced to the revolutionary idea of bombing Afghanistan and Iraq qith pennies. Seems like a theory he'd take to.

Becca said...

qith=with

BTW, DO you have a middle name?

Elizabeth said...

I've quit smoking just thinking about your brilliant student's paper. You're holding him BACK, Erin, he could next solve world hunger --- by telling people to SHARE! So glad the comments are back.

Courtney said...

How did this young man ever get into college (I should say - how did he ever pass critical thinking in the 6th grade.)

Sorry - seriously judgmental but true.

Why don't you ask what she'd like to be called. I've had some Asian students who are listed as name B, A (last, first) only for me to find out their name is B A and I'd been using their surname to address or even just write comments.

J and M said...

I wouldn't have blinked at the student's name, but perhaps should have. We have some awesome gack like substance for graham at christmas called "flarp". When you press it into the can it makes horrid gaseous noises. Grandpa will faint. Graham will love it. Ellie will love it. Andrew and Jon will love it!

Anonymous said...

i had a student in china who stood up the first day in class and announced that her name was "doodoo." i didn't say anything in front of the class, but later i pulled her aside and asked about her name. she said she liked it. she thought it was a pretty name. then i told her what "doodoo" means in english, and she quickly blushed, fanning her hands in front of her face, and said, "oh sorry! sorry! i must new name!" then i asked where she got "doodoo" in the first place. she said, "it is the name of a pig." well, that's not much better than naming yourself after excrement!