Nov 11, 2009

Me as a shoe

I just posted a picture of my new sale shoes & claimed that they encapsulated my entire persona. But then I started thinking about how much I like other shoes too, and had to add a few more to my list. I am equal parts Mary Janes and Chuck Taylors, and I would like a pair of these MacBeth sneakers, partly because of the name and mostly because of the look.


I'm sad about the missing comments because I wanted to ask all of you what kinds of shoes (or accessories) sum up your personalities?

Here's my take on my family -

Marni once had a pair of green suede Banana Republic oxfords that I coveted mightily. Then someone splashed gasoline on them and the shoes were ruined. But those shoes still captured something about my wonderful green sister!

Courtney had a pair (and maybe still does) of the coolest leather sandals from Israel, I believe. They looked comfortable and stylish. That's Courtney to a T - high quality and very functional, no-nonsense and lovely!

My mom is the source of all good shoes in our family. She maintains high standards and introduced all of us to Clark's and Borns. Whenever I go home to visit, she has a new pair of shoes for me OR offers a pair straight out of her closet. This summer, she gave me a pair of red leather Mary Janes that are both cute and comfortable. When I was in fifth grade, my mom purchased for me at Kinney's a pair of soft yellow boots with fringe. Those boots were one of the best gifts I ever received. Later, when I was a college student, my mom purchased a pair of Doc Marten boots for me. Different boots, but same reaction from the recipient: pure joy!

Dad always wears those slip on clog shoes. I so closely associate my dad with those shoes that whenever I see someone else wearing them, I think of him.

8 comments:

Becca said...

One of the reasons I hate the mall is because I suddenly feel like I *need* all the shoes I see. Stimulation overload.

I, too, love Chuck Taylors. I think that a shoe that could sum me up, though, is a pair of slip on Vans. I love the look, the comfort, and the slightly rebellious "skater" association.

My favorites as a kid were some purple "Roos" that had a zipper pocket on the side where I always kept a quarter.

Susan said...

I do love shoes. when I had a ruptured disc in my back we'd go to SLC and see the doctor and then go to the big shoes stores and I got some fun shoes there. My dad once got very angry at me for wanting to buy shoes when I could use my money for something else. Even now, I usually buy used so it never was a question of big bucks. s

Elizabeth said...

Mary Janes are so cute, and I totally covet your first pair of "me" shoes. I just can't wear sneakers --- tying shoes? That takes SECONDS.

Courtney said...

Totally on with the Hill family shoe memories. I remember the green, the fringe, the anywheres, and mom's clarks. Recently she and I went to Clothes Mentor (consignment) and each bought 2 pair of Borns - super cute, for like $13.00 each. What? You can't buy a pair of payless shoes for that and they stink. (That ideology seriously comes from mom - yes indeed.) Marni got cute blue shoes from Penney's for your wedding. They didn't fit me (I don't have the high arch). Looked everywhere - finally ended at Payless - mom was mortified at the low quality and nearly wouldn't let me wear them.

I must ask since Elizabeth posted before me - where did YOU get your blue shoes to match us for Erin's wedding as bridesmaids?

J and M said...

I remember the boots with the fringe, and I did love those green shoes.

My only concern with the red chuck taylors is the pain factor. Without my orthodics I would make it 21 minutes in those. How do you do it? You need an orthodic. I have one, come on (:

J and M said...

Oh goodness. I don't read veree gud. I see your new shoes below. Chuck taylors be gone. New shoes are adorable!

Sara said...

love the new shoes! would like to have some JUST LIKE IT!! I'm always obsessed about what would be the "right" shoes to wear with each outfit. Just because the color matches doesn't mean the style or character does. Thus, the need for many options...

Sherry said...

I too love slip ons--mostly Clarks and Borns.

Before I had surgery for bunions I had a closet full of Aerosoles and a few Borns which I still mourn.
I had to give them all away since they no longer fit.

As a teenager I took baby-sitting money down Kimberly Road to Economy Shoes-(hence the bunions) I loved all those colorful high heels. I am a "good shoes" convert.