Nov 16, 2009

Mi casa



     What's that I see o'er yonder? A half-year's worth of weeds, that's what. A day's worth of grumbling complaints. It's bad, isn't it? Can you enlarge this image to see for yourselves? Do you see the difference in length between my yard and the weed yard?
     Why do I care so much anyway? 
     It all comes back to my theory about my own personal margin of error & also includes a quote I once read in a Grand Homes & Escapes house profile from nytimes.com (tried searching for it so I could provide the link, but surprisingly the word "ochre" didn't yield any results). The homeowner quoted said something like this - that any two pieces of quality will always match or work together. This woman had yellow walls and antique trunks and modern mirrors, but since all of it was "quality" (translation: expensive), the hodpodge of styles created interesting juxtapositions instead of jarring shame-fests.
     I think the inverse concept also holds true - that pieces of poor quality drag down those things around 'em. 
     I'm definitely not a snob. Ha! How could I be? But I am conscious of my home style. A pleasing arrangements of decorative items and furniture gives me great pleasure. I am always searching for the best furniture flow and I delight in what goes on the walls. My home's exterior is something I note (with pride or dismay) every time I leave or enter the driveway.
     I'm not a snob, but it was a step down to move here. I'm just sayin'. I'm probably still smarting from the sale of our home. I loved our 1949 home. We were led to that home. It was in our price range, in the area we wanted to be in, and with a style, that while modest, was very much me ... and us. I loved our wooden floors, our nearly one acre in the middle of the city. We had ward campouts in our meadow. The kids and their friends could explore for an entire morning back there. I loved the bigger kitchen, the family room, the recording studio that Kyle created, our zip line and assorted kid equipment gathered there. No, I didn't love raking 50+ bags of oak leaves over the course of autumn, but those leaves were the price we paid for stunning oaks that dotted the property.
     Okay, so that's done. I really am okay with it in almost every sense. It was the right thing to sell, and I know that.  And when I needed a rental house in our school zone 1.25 years ago, the Lord led me to this place. It was the only house I could find in our school zone, actually, and it fit the bill. It's affordable and close to everything and down the street from wonderful neighbors. We're stop #1 on Corinna's fun bus! Also, we could walk to the pawn shop on the corner if we needed to. Now there's even a tattoo parlor two blocks away. 
     But the part of me that used to cringe when I had to get into our first family car (a giant Pontiac Catalina), and in fact once refused to ride in the car to pick up a friend of mine for a kindergarten playdate, and the part of me that wanted teeth without spaces and hair without waves and toes without long freakish bumps (basically the part of me that cares what other people think!), cares what other people think. My house - even with the modest paint job and lovely plants I've put in - feels just passable. It's a C- at best. On good days, I feel grateful. On insecure days, I itch inside. 
     (Do you remember that part in the film version of "Sense & Sensibility" when the Dashwood family, now without dear father, have to downsize to a brick cottage in the country? Of course, every viewer is drooling at this English gem of a house, but for the women of the story, it's a real coming down in the world. The older brother has inherited the family estate and left his sisters and step-mother with almost nothing. Do you remember that part? I guess my story is nothing like that.)
     My neighbors' shamble of a yard makes me feel worse about where I live because it literally makes it look worse. I feel an absence of pleasure every time I look o'er yonder. 







(see the obvious length difference below?)



     Yes, I already know what I need to do. Harrumph. I'll mow it myself when the ground dries out. Instead of complaining, I should be serving. I know better than to get caught up about home exteriors/interiors. (My brain knows better but my heart hasn't caught up.) People in this world live in cardboard shanty towns and children sleep under bridges. It's fine to take pleasure in a lovely home, but foolish to let something aesthetically inferior pollute the rest of my life joy. I know that, yes, but am still trying to believe it.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh Erin I DO know how you feel - hello I lived (ok - live) in a tiny townhome in a crummy neighborhood and have had some wacko neighbors. My cupboards are so ugly I can't handle people new seeing them (and if you walk INTO my house - or even PAST my house) you see them.

Why do we care? I remember caring as a child about things like cars and red carpet and things - and only later went - ah, the molding around the windows and door frames in that house were amazing, the maple floors to die for. I have had moments such as these where I catch myself thinking - at least I don't live .... (see your blog above), or like Laura who lived in a tiny log cabin ... but SHE LOVED IT. She loved the one in Missouri and Rose despised it, hated being poor, hated Spookendyke her donkey but Laura loved it. I guess Laura didn't care what other people thought - once she got past Nelly's snide remarks earlier in life.

Ideally we want to live somewhere that REFLECTS us - I have felt empty in my own house for some time because I don't have the things that I love in it - my collections etc - no space (see mom and dad's G2 oh yeah!) I was envious of your beautiful home - the one that WAS you so much - bought within a year of us buying our townhome we paid the same price. Covet covet covet ... and I have always LOVED your style - the style of you in your furniture, the colors, the accesories -- I lag in that and feel out of place in my own house.

Figure this one out and pass it on to me.

LOVE TO YOU -- no matter how long you neighbor's grass is or if you have a tattoo parlor nearby ... hello, we grew up next to a Frat house, we can take it!

hkobeal said...

Oh boy, would Brent love this post. I loved our blue house in Baton Rouge, but my house here (a major downsizing, both in size and style and flooring and countertops and light fixtures and windows and and and and . . .) but I don't feel the angst about it . . .

which is good because I feel angst about a lot of other things. :)

Becca said...

You grew up next to a frat house?

I loved this post and I loved Courtney's comment!

Unfortunately, I think my house growing up was the eqivalent of your neighbor's house. But it's nice to have my own lovely yard and well-groomed chicken coop now :).

Becca said...

PS: HOTTIE!

Jennifer said...

Erin, I also want to have my home reflect who I am, and I think that once the walls aren't ALL brown wood paneling, maybe I'll be a step closer. But maybe this will help you feel better -- it also sucks to be the owner of the house with the crappy weed-filled yard and no pretty landscaping. Have you seen how beautiful my next-door neighbor's yard is? covet, covet, covet! And we have one measly oak tree that we planted 9 months ago as well as some potted aloe vera. *sigh*